Chapter 85 - Alex - A Ring To Buy

Percy so was awesome at Marine Science, so they let him skip a few years ahead. Somehow, he managed to get into 'Interstellar Industries'. I was hit by a huge wave of nostalgia when he said that he'd managed to land the job. 

In fact, I still have the card that Bowser had given me.

We actually earned money, unlike Jason and Annabeth who did part-time jobs. (Ow! Okay, sorry. You earned money as well.)

The four of us had never been closer. Things were great. 

But the one thing I reckon that all of us were always sad about was the fact that we no longer visited Camp Half Blood. We'd moved out of New Rome to a new apartment so Percy and I could reach work easier, so we'd pretty much stopped all our comms with the demigod world.

We were turning... normal.

 And I suppose we were kind of relieved and sad about it at the same time. We were no longer needed for life-taking quests or missions that ended with bloodshed and war. 

But everything has its disadvantages. 

With me, the line of Pontifex Maximus ended. Piper told me that she was hopeful no one would need the post ever again. That was the last piece of comms we had with her as well.

Clarisse, Nico, Will, Leo, Calypso; all were out of touch. We just assumed they were happy and busy with their lives, and I guess, we just never had time to contact them either. 

Rachel popped up once a year to talk to us about life at Camp. She'd grown into one of the most famous artists in all of New York, and we'd find time just to go to her galleries, regardless of the fact whether we had to pay for the ticket by ourselves or not.

Maybe it's a part of life. Only a few stay together till the end; and most of the time it's family that does stick till the end. 

Friends may come and go. But the most important ones, they always stay. Either in your heart, or in your memories, or they're always physically present next to you. That's how I saw my old friends from CHB. 

That's how I will always see them.

***

Exactly one week before our birthday, Percy and I met on the commute back home. 

"Hey!" Percy called through the hundred passengers who stood scrunched up between us. "Get over at Mom's!"

"Why?" I yelled.

"Need to show you something!"

I looked at him, utterly confused. "Okay!" I yelled back finally.

It was a relief to get away from the train before it was time to do so. I hated standing there. Percy strode up to me. 

"Come on," he said. We walked away from the station. 

"What happened?" I asked as we walked.

"Give me one minute," Percy said, tapping away something on his phone.

"Dude, the monsters-"

"This is the Leo phone, sis," Percy said confidently.

Leo had made each of us a parting 'I'm sorry for faking my death' gift before we left New Rome. The phones were basically tracking-proof, super safe, and they did not help monsters find us. The best ever. 

No one else had it except a few chosen ones who thought that slapping Leo wasn't just going to be enough. 

Percy looked up from the phone finally. "Okay, let's get to business."