Chapter 54 - Alex - The Troubles Of War

Ardens hummed a song about tasty donuts on the way to Camp Half Blood.

'The tastiest are all mine,

Donuts in the world, donuts in the world,

Sugar, chocolate-y, sweet and perfect-y,

The tastiest are all mine,' he sang as I woke up.

I couldn't help but chuckle. "That excited for donuts, pal?"

'Donuts are the best,' the horse neighed back.

"Do you even know what they taste like?"

'Of course! They are so sweet, slightly salty, but the best ones are the ones that coated with sugar,' he said.

"Now don't lose your grip thinking about donuts," I said, smiling. "We're in Manhattan now."

'Donut City,' Ardens called.

"Yes, Donut City. We're going to Long Island Sound, and then donuts. There's this fabulous place called-"

'Doughnut plant?' Ardens asked.

"How'd you know?"

'Cause we're gonna land there in two minutes,' the pegasus said.

"Oh fantastic," I said. "You're the best, Ardens."

'I know.'

Camp Half Blood came into view. Fire burned in front of the many Cabins. And then I realized I was wearing glasses. I rolled my eyes.

The grass and the trees of the woods swayed calmly in the roaring wind. The salty smell of the sea filled the air, along with that of the burning forges of Cabin Nine. Gods knew what those guys were up to. Probably some workshop like 'how to build a racing car at the age of ten' and 'how to wreak havoc easily'. I loved those guys.

The rosy sky shone light on the Big House. Chiron was trotting in front of the house, almost like he was panicking. Hestia was poking the fire.

And then, many of the kids pointed towards the sky, specifically towards me. More demigods rushed outside from the Cabins. I recognized the Stoll twins practically jumping with joy.

"They found them!" Clarisse shouted at the top of her lungs.

Chiron looked up too. As we neared closer, he smiled.

Ardens landed near the donut shop. 'Donuts first, work later,' he insisted.

I went in and bought a Nutella donut and three sugar ones. We walked the rest of the distance as we ate. Ardens was basically bouncing with joy.

Demigods practically jumped at the entrance to the Camp as we neared. Chiron stood in between all of them, smiling warmly. Dodger, my other friend pegasus was neighing loudly in triumph. The members of Ares Cabin took out long spears and slammed them on the ground.

It was like drums banging to welcome a royal member. I grinned at Clarisse. She had been a good friend when we were at Camp together.

As soon as we entered the borders, I was pulled into a great hug by too many Camp members. I was actually suffocating.

"THEY FOUND YOU!" the Stoll brothers chorused in delight. "Here's a chain we made of all the credit cards we stole from Mr. D."

They tossed it onto my neck. The others laughed.

"Now we know where those cards went," Chiron said, smiling. "Welcome back, Alexandra. Connor, Travis, I am sure you know where the kitchens are."

"Not scrubbing duty!" Connor groaned.