Chapter 139 - Percy - Inspection with McGonagall

"That sounded worse than the second Great Prophecy," Annabeth said, her eyes filled with horror. "Seven leaders shall answer the call-"

"It doesn't mention who the seven are," Alex suggested hopefully. "They could be seven half-bloods, or more fortunately, seven wizards whom we don't have to worry about."

"But then it was us who got the prophecy," Will sighed, "straight from CHB."

"I IM'd Chiron," Nico said, "around the same time you got the prophecy, they got the prophecy too."

"So Rachel's got a control over any other magical seer over the world," I said, shocked. "Wow."

"But there must have been a trigger point," Will said. "People can't just go about spewing prophecies."

"Hey, maybe when she touched your hand," I said, "Alex. When she handed you that diary, right.."

"That makes sense," Alex replied. Her eyes were distant, as though she was in deep thought.

Silence filled the air. Trees swayed and the cold wind hit my face.

"A new prophecy," Annabeth sighed. 

Alex pouted. "I don't wanna go on this quest."

"So that's where all the demigods get their stubbornness from," Jason joked. "From none other than the great goddess of heroes, Alexandra."

"Shut up."

The Quidditch pitch was only illuminated by Will. 

"Seven-" Nico said softly. "but who?"

"We're six," I said. "But they could be anyone."

"Anyone?" Jason asked. "I feel it could be those three. Harry, Hermione, Ron."

"They would never team up with us," Annabeth said. "They don't even know who we are."

Alex fell on her back on to the grass, and stared at the sky. "There's Zoe Nightshade," she pointed. 

I looked up. Her star glowed brighter than any other that night. Tears filled my eyes. "Two of us will fall."

"People can always get along," Alex said, "like you did with Zoe."

Annabeth held my palm. She leaned onto my arm. 

"And even if one of us does die," Alex said, "we should always stay strong in our hearts." Her voice cracked. "Because those we love always live on, forever in our hearts."

"Bob says hello," I whispered silently, falling on my back.  

****

Tuesday meant Transfiguration. Professor Umbridge and her clipboard were sitting in a corner as us, the six Gryffindors entered after Charms.

"Excellent," whispered Ron, as we sat down in our usual seats. "Let's see Umbridge get what she deserves."

Ron, Harry, Jason and I had bonded as well as Hermione had with Alex. It was like we'd been promoted from friendly co-workers to best friends. Hermione was almost like a kid-sister to Alex, and they frequently sat together with Annabeth during lunch.

Professor McGonagall marched into the room without giving the slightest indication that she knew Professor Umbridge was there.

"That will do," she said and silence fell immediately. "Mr. Finnigan, kindly come here and hand back the homework--Miss Brown, please take this box of mice--don't be silly, girl, they won't hurt you--and hand one to each student--"

"Hem, hem," said Professor Umbridge, employing the same silly little cough she had used to interrupt Dumbledore on the first night of term. Professor McGonagall ignored her. Seamus handed me my essay- a neat O had been scribbled on the corner. Jason and Alex had scored an O each.

"Right then, everyone, listen closely--Dean Thomas, if you do that to the mouse again I shall put you in detention--most of you have now successfully Vanished your snails and even those who were left with a certain amount of shell have got the gist of the spell. Today, we shall be--"

"Hem, hem," said Professor Umbridge.

"Yes?" said Professor McGonagall, turning round, her eyebrows so close together they seemed to form one long, severe line.

"I was just wondering, Professor, whether you received my note telling you of the date and time of your inspec--"

"Obviously I received it, or I would have asked you what you are doing in my classroom," said Professor McGonagall, turning her back firmly on Professor Umbridge. 

Many of the students exchanged looks of glee. Alex was positively burning with pride. She was grinning at the professor, and I could have sworn that she almost smiled back. 

"As I was saying: today, we shall be practicing the altogether more difficult Vanishment of mice. Now, the Vanishing Spell--"

"Hem, hem."

"I wonder," said Professor McGonagall in cold fury, turning on Professor Umbridge, "how you expect to gain an idea of my usual teaching methods if you continue to interrupt me? You see, I do not generally permit people to talk when I am talking."

I almost laughed. And then I had to cover it up at once with a cough. 

Professor Umbridge looked as though she had just been slapped in the face. She did not speak, but straightened the parchment on her clipboard and began scribbling furiously.

Looking supremely unconcerned, Professor McGonagall addressed the class once more. Alex grinned even wider.

"As I was saying: the Vanishing Spell becomes more difficult with the complexity of the animal to be Vanished. The snail, as an invertebrate, does not present much of a challenge; the mouse, as a mammal, offers a much greater one. This is not, therefore, magic you can accomplish with your mind on your dinner. So-- you know the incantation, let me see what you can do..."

"How she can lecture me about not losing my temper with Umbridge!" Harry muttered to us under his breath, but he was grinning.

Professor Umbridge did not follow Professor McGonagall around the class as she had followed Professor Trelawney; perhaps she realized Professor McGonagall would not permit it. 

Professor McGonagall gave us a rare smile and exempted us from our essay homework for the night when Jason and I managed to vanish the mouse on our seventh try. Unfortunately, the race was won by Alex, who'd managed to vanish the mouse by her fifth try. Professor McGonagall exempted her from doing homework for the next two days. 

Umbridge did, however, take many more notes while sitting in her corner, and when Professor McGonagall finally told us all to pack away, she rose with a grim expression on her face.

"Well, it's a start," said Ron, holding up a long wriggling mouse-tail and dropping it back into the box Lavender was passing around.

As we filed out of the classroom, I saw Professor Umbridge approach the teachers desk; Alex nudged me, and the six of us deliberately fell back to eavesdrop.

"How long have you been teaching at Hogwarts?" Professor Umbridge asked.

"Thirty-nine years this December," said Professor McGonagall brusquely, snapping her bag shut.

Professor Umbridge made a note.

"Very well," she said, "you will receive the results of your inspection in ten days' time."

"I can hardly wait," said Professor McGonagall, in a coldly indifferent voice, and she strode off towards the door. "Hurry up, you six," she added, sweeping us before her.

She sent us a faint smile as she walked away.  

****