Chapter 130 - Alex - Detention With Umbridge

"How come it's only been two days since you got here and you're already having detention?" Percy asked me at four thirty as I prepared to leave for Umbridge's office with Harry, who was waiting downstairs.

The boys' dorm was empty as of that moment, only occupied by Percy, Jason and me. I sat on Ron's bed. "She's just giving lines, for gods' sake."

"Yeah, but still, detention? Already?"

I turned to Jason. "You seem awfully quiet. What happened?"

Jason smiled slightly. "I know that you always have a plan. There must be something- a reason as to why you got yourself into detention."

I smirked. "Good. I'm loving the compliments."

Percy scoffed. "Of course you are. Anyway, why did you get into detention voluntarily?" And then realization dawned on his face. "Umbridge."

"Yeah. I just want to make sure I leave no leaf unturned. If Umbridge is possessed by Eris-"

"You can find out by speaking to her during detention," Jason said, smiling. 

"How come I didn't think that earlier?" Percy wondered.

"Good plan, right?" I asked, smirking.

"Fine, fine. Okay. Nice plan," Percy agreed, now smiling.

"Alex!" Harry called from down the stairs. "We have detention, in case you've forgotten!"

I jumped from the bed. "Gotta go." I pecked Jason's cheek, fist bumped Percy and ran down the stairs. 

"So, what does she give for detention?" I asked Harry as we walked to Umbridge's office.

"You'll see," Harry replied quietly. "You know you didn't have to defend me in front of her that evening, right? Hermione told me."

"I didn't have to. Not an obligation, yes. But I still did 'cause I believe in you," I replied, grinning.

Harry smiled a little. "Thanks. But I wouldn't want any of my friends to go through what Umbridge calls 'detention.'"

"That bad, huh?"

"Yeah," Harry replied, pulling his sleeve over his palm. "Her office is just around here." When he knocked on the door Umbridge called, "Come in," in a sugary voice. I entered cautiously, looking around.

The surfaces had all been draped in lacy covers and cloths. There were several vases full of dried flowers, each one residing on its own doily, and on one of the walls was a collection of ornamental plates, each decorated with a large technicolour kitten wearing a different bow around its neck. The wallpaper was pink, the chair cushions were pink, and even the ornamental plates were a pale baby pink. 

"Good Evening, Mr. Potter, Ms. Marine," Umbridge called as I thought of every synonym for 'hate'.

Harry started and looked around. He had not noticed her at first because she was wearing a luridly flowered set of robes that blended only too well with the tablecloth on the desk behind her.

 "Evening, Professor Umbridge," Harry said stiffly. 

The woman turned to me expectantly.

I stared into her eyes. "The pink's a little too much, don't you think?" I asked her.

"Beg your pardon-"

"Oh my god, that rhymes!" I interrupted her excitedly. "Pink- think. I could be a poet someday. Will can write some pretty amazing poems. Like, even his cousins- I'm pretty sure they can curse people to talk in rhyming couplets for a week-"