Chapter 162 - Percy - Umbridge's Trap

"Well, they've got their DA thing," I said, smiling, as we made way back to Gryffindor Tower. 

"And we've got our secret practice thing," Alex nodded, putting an arm around Annabeth's. "Gods, it's been so long since we've all been together, hmm?"

Almost two months had passed. The Quibbler had never been running more successfully, the DA was going strong, and our classes for extra credit became more manageable, and Tony's letters to us helped us a lot in taking precaution.

"We'll see again day after?" Jason asked, breathing deeply. "It was nice with the light rain."

"Yeah, day after sounds good to me," Will said. "No classes."

"Awesom- WHOA!" Nico almost fell spectacularly, but caught himself in between the fall, and straightened up.

"Nico-" Alex began, but she didn't have time to speak. "Protego!"

A jet of light bounced off the sliver spell and streaked down the corridor. All of us pulled our wands out. 

"Professor!" a shrill voice sounded. "Next to the Library, please!"

"Parkinson," Annabeth muttered. 

 "Oh, dear, that can't be good," Jason said. He raised his wand, pointing to the statue of Betty Humpter the Murderous Hunter. The statue melted in front of our eyes. "Run."

We turned away, our feet doing their work on their own. I looked back a moment a later, to see a large dog, blacker than night, a red collar around it's neck standing in place of the statue. A large Tibetan Mastiff, growling as Umbridge approached in her vividly green coat. It barked so loudly that a shiver went through my spine. 

"I'll see you later," I told Annabeth as Jason, Alex and I rushed to the Gryffindor Tower. 

Alex cursed loudly as we ran up the staircase. "Stairs! They're the worst helpers when comes to hiding."

 I pulled her up with effort as we reached the last one. All of us were panting. 

"We're close," Jason said. "Let's move."

Still running, we reached the portrait of the Fat Lady, and breathed the password urgently. 

"Good run," I muttered, stepping in.

Instantly, a hand pulled me back out by the collar. I fell on my butt amazingly, and it was no surprise when Alex and Jason followed, falling right on top of each other.

"Professor! Professor! I've got another three!" Malfoy shrieked in delight. 

"Oh, man," I muttered. 

Umbridge came bustling round the far corner, breathless but wearing a delighted smile.

"Excellent, Draco, excellent, oh, very good--fifty points to Slytherin! I'll take them from here... stand up, you three!"

Glaring daggers at Malfoy, we helped each other up. "What happened, Professor?" Alex asked, raising an eyebrow.

She didn't answer. Instead, she seized Alex's and my arm so tight I thought a vein might burst. "Come along, now. Let's see how important you are now."

We were at the stone gargoyle within minutes. "Fizzing Whizzbee," sang Umbridge; the stone gargoyle jumped aside, the wall behind split open, and we ascended the moving stone staircase. We reached the polished door with the griffin knocker, but Umbridge did not bother to knock, she strode straight inside, still holding tight onto me.

The office was full of people. Dumbledore was sitting behind his desk, his expression serene, the tips of his long fingers together. Professor McGonagall stood rigidly beside him, her face extremely tense. Cornelius Fudge, Minister for Magic, was rocking backwards and forwards on his toes beside the fire, apparently immensely pleased with the situation; Kingsley Shacklebolt and a tough-looking wizard with very short wiry hair, were positioned either side of the door like guards, and the freckled, bespectacled form of a Weasley hovered excitedly beside the wall, a quill and a heavy scroll of parchment in his hands, apparently poised to take notes. Harry stood blankly, glaring at Fudge.