Chapter 129 - Alex - Alexandra Always Has A Plan

"What happened?" Hermione asked as I ran towards the greenhouse, catching up with her. Jason and Percy caught up with us, sprinting to the greenhouses as well. Harry called after them, asking why we'd been missing during Care of Magical Creatures.

"Dumbledore told us something," Jason answered. 

"It's top secret," Percy said. "I'll tell you at the dorm when we get back."

"Then it'll have to wait till six," Harry said. "I've got detention with Umbridge, remember?"

"Detention's such a weird concept though," I said. "How's cleaning pans going to help me do my homework?"

"Good point," Ron said. "I suggest we protest against detention."

"And we'll get detention for protesting against detention," Percy said, smirking.

Malfoy passed by us, laughing like an idiot with his moronic bodyguards, Crabbe and Goyle.

"Every time I see him, I remember that he's my most favorite person besides everyone else I've met," Jason said.

Harry grit his teeth. "If he calls Hagrid a moron one more time.."

Hermione turned grim. "Harry, don't go picking a row with Malfoy, don't forget, he's a prefect now, he could make life difficult for you..."

"Wow, I wonder what it'd be like to have a difficult life?" said Harry sarcastically. Together, we traipsed across the vegetable patch. The sky still appeared unable to make up its mind whether it wanted to rain or not.

"I just wish Hagrid would hurry up and get back, that's all," said Harry in a low voice, as we reached the greenhouses. "And don't say that Grubbly-Plank woman's a better teacher!" he added threateningly.

"I wasn't going to," said Hermione calmly.

"Because she'll never be as good as Hagrid," said Harry firmly. The door of the nearest greenhouse opened and some fourth-years spilled out of it, including Ginny.

"Hi," she said brightly as she passed. A few seconds later, Luna Lovegood emerged, trailing behind the rest of the class, a smudge of earth on her nose, and her hair tied in a knot on the top of her head. When she saw Harry, her prominent eyes seemed to bulge excitedly and she made a beeline straight for him. Many of his classmates turned curiously to watch. Luna took a great breath and then said, without so much as a preliminary hello, "I believe He Who Must Not Be Named is back and I believe you fought him and escaped from him."

"Er--right," said Harry awkwardly. Luna was wearing what looked like a pair of orange radishes for earrings, a fact that Parvati and Lavender seemed to have noticed, as they were both giggling and pointing at her earlobes.

"You can laugh," Luna said, her voice rising, apparently under the impression that Parvati and Lavender were laughing at what she had said rather than what she was wearing, "but people used to believe there were no such things as the Blibbering Humdinger or the Crumple-Horned Snorkack!"

"Well, they were right, weren't they?" said Hermione impatiently. "There weren't any such things as the Blibbering Humdinger or the Crumple-Horned Snorkack."

Luna gave her a withering look and flounced away, radishes swinging madly. Parvati and Lavender were not the only ones hooting with laughter now.

"D'you mind not offending the only people who believe me?" Harry asked Hermione as we made their way into class.

"Oh, for heaven's sake, Harry, you can do better than her," said Hermione. "Ginny's told me all about her; apparently, she'll only believe in things as long as there's no proof at all. Well, I wouldn't expect anything else from someone whose father runs The Quibbler."