Chapter 119 - Alex - To Hogwarts

"Oh we can beat them, for ever and ever, then we could be heroes, just for one day," Will sang, with us just humming in the chorus. I could almost smell the s'mores and the burning wood. 

The weather remained undecided as we travelled farther and farther north. Rain spattered the windows in a half-hearted way, then the sun put in a feeble appearance before clouds drifted over it once more. When darkness fell and lamps came on inside the carriages, Luna rolled up The Quibbler, put it carefully away in her bag and took to staring at everyone in the compartment instead.

Harry's forehead was pressed to the window, as he looked for a glimpse of Hogwarts, but it was a moonless night. 

"We can be heroes, just for one day," I sang with Will. Jason and Percy followed, "We can be heroes, we're nothing, and nothing will help us-"

Annabeth and Nico were following in, tears filling in their eyes. "Maybe we're lying, then you better not stay- but we could be safer, just for one day," we finished together.

I sighed satisfactorily and leaned onto Jason's shoulder, hugging his arm tight. He pressed his lips to my forehead. I looked opposite, and saw Percy and Annabeth were reliving those same precious moments too.

A slight drizzle began to pour down on the windows and lightning streaked the sky. Jason was smiling. I closed my eyes and let my mind finally come to stop, just living in the moment for once.

"We'd better change," said Hermione at last. 

We opened our trucks with relative ease compared to the magic kids and pulled on our school robes. Hermione and Ron pinned their prefect badges carefully to their chests.  

At last, the train began to slow down and I heard a racket up and down it as everybody scrambled to get their luggage and pets assembled, ready for departure. Ron and Hermione were supposed to supervise all this; they disappeared from the carriage again, leaving Harry and us to look after Crookshanks and Pigwidgeon.

"I'll carry that owl, if you like," said Luna to Harry, reaching out for Pigwidgeon as Neville stowed Trevor carefully in an inside pocket.

"Oh--er--thanks," said Harry, handing her the cage and hoisting Hedwig's more securely into his arms.

Percy and I were carrying our cats responsibly along with Crookshanks' as we followed Harry's lead out of the compartment. 

The night air stung my face as we entered the crowd in the corridor. Slowly, we moved towards the doors. The air smelled like pine trees. I was reminded of Thalia at once. I looked around at Jason, and he grinned at me at once. 

A brisk female voice was calling out, "First years line up over here, please! All first years to me!"

A lantern came swinging towards Harry and by its light I saw a woman with a prominent chin and a severe haircut.

"Where's Hagrid?" Harry said out loud.

"I don't know," said Ginny, "but we'd better get out of the way, we're blocking the door."

"Oh, yeah..."

We became separated from Ginny as we moved off along the platform and out through the station and to the dark rain-washed road outside Hogsmeade Station.

"Who's Hagrid?" I asked Harry.

"He's the gamekeeper round here," Harry replied, still pretty watchful about what he was telling us.

"Good friend?" Will asked.

"One of the best."

A hundred carriages were standing to take us up to the castle.