Chapter 70 - Alex - You Got A Friend In Me

Over the next few days, the real fun took place. 

Well, as fun as it could be for demigods.

Camp Half Blood worked on re-building the hill better. Percy ran around Cabin Three, searching for his stuff as he packed. 

"I've lost my other sock!" he bellowed at midnight one day as I woke to his shouting and the light shining bright over my head.

Percy, in what seemed like a miner's helmet, flashed the in-built flashlight at my face.

"Percy." I said, getting up. "You always lose your socks. Don't make a big deal out of it."

"Yeah, but Annabeth gave these socks to me!" Percy said, hyperventilating. 

"Oh."

"Yeah."

"So-"

"She'll kill me."

"Oh."

A moment of silence passed.

"Well, get up and start searching!" I said hastily and got out of bed.  

"Finally!" Percy said as he pulled a sock from under his bed at dawn. 

I sighed and fell onto my bed. "No one- no one- knows about this," I said.

"You've got yourself a deal."

And another time, we watched the orientation film of Camp Half Blood, after which everyone either needed unsee juice or bleach to wash their eyes with. (Yeah, sorry, Apollo, but that was the worst thing you've ever made.)

So we came up with our own guide to Camp Half Blood. Chiron was pleased to contribute. I did a write up about the shores next to Cabin Three and the stables. You're welcome. Now you no longer have to suffer when you enter the Camp.

Percy and Annabeth left two weeks later to unpack at their new apartment. So, I was left alone at Cabin Three again. (I know you asked me to join you, Perce, but I was not going to interfere in the life of the 'love birds'.)

Three days after the 'lovers' had left, I was such a gloomy mess, that even Nico was jealous. 

I missed my best friends more than ever. Clarisse was gone for college. Travis had headed out too. I had no one for company except Rachel, and she popped up as an angry mess that couldn't make up any prophecies. She raged about her cave in a maniacal frenzy and painted its walls white. 

***

 I plunged my trident into the straw dummy's heart. Or where the heart should've been in a normal human being. I pulled it out with my force and threw it back at the dummy. 

"Bad day?" a voice asked behind me.

I turned around to face Jason Grace, smiling nervously as he looked at me.

"Bad four days, you could say," I said, and pulled back the trident from the straw dummy.

Jason swallowed. "You wanna practice with me?"

"Oh, no," I said. "I don't want to kill you, Sparkles."

"Try me, Kelp Head," Jason taunted.

I smirked and stood at my attacking stance. Jason pulled out his gladius, a wide and sarcastic smile on his face.

"Ready?"

"Born ready."

He charged first. I threw my trident into the air, ducked against his sword, pulled out my dagger and held it to his neck.