Chapter 103 - Alex - I Almost Rip Apart Walburga Black.

"What's happened?" Harry said.

"Percy and Dad had a row," said Fred. "I've never seen Dad row with anyone like that. It's normally Mum who shouts...."

"It was the first week back after term ended," said Ron. "We were about to come and join the Order. Percy came home and told us he'd been promoted."

"You're kidding?" said Harry.

"Yeah, we were all surprised," said George, "because Percy got into a load of trouble about Crouch, there was an inquiry and everything. They said Percy ought to have realised Crouch was off his rocker and informed a superior. But you know Percy, Crouch left him in charge, he wasn't going to complain...."

"So how come they promoted him?"

"That's exactly what we wondered," said Ron, who seemed very keen to keep normal conversation going now that Harry had stopped yelling. "He came home really pleased with himself--even more pleased than usual, if you can imagine that--and told Dad he'd been offered a position in Fudge's own office. A really good one for someone only a year out of Hogwarts--Junior Assistant to the Minister. He expected Dad to be all impressed, I think."

"Only Dad wasn't," said Fred grimly.

"Why not" said Harry.

"Well, apparently Fudge has been storming round the Ministry checking that nobody's having any contact with Dumbledore," said George.

"Dumbledore's name is mud with the Ministry these days, see," said Fred. "They all think he's just making trouble saying You-Know-Who's back."

"Dad says Fudge has made it clear that anyone who's in league with Dumbledore can clear out their desks," said George.

"Trouble is, Fudge suspects Dad, he knows he's friendly with Dumbledore, and he's always thought Dad's a bit of a weirdo because of his Muggle obsession."

"Tell me about it," Will snorted.

That was when I decided that I needed friends in the Wizarding World. Fred, George and Ron were well kept to the news. Annabeth seemed to be thinking the same too. I smiled at her and nodded.

The topic soon came back to the hearing. I may have completely zoned out during that time, because I had other important things to think of... like dinner.

"Uh oh." Fred gave the Extendable Ear a hearty tug; there was another loud crack and he and George vanished. Seconds later, Molly appeared in the bedroom doorway.

"The meeting's over, you can come down and have dinner now. Everyone's dying to see you, Harry. And who's left all those Dungbombs outside the kitchen door?"

"Crookshanks," said Ginny unblushingly. "He loves playing with them."

"Oh," said Molly, "I thought it might have been Kreacher, he keeps doing odd things like that. Now don't forget to keep your voices down in the hall. Ginny, your hands are filthy, what have you been doing? Go and wash them before dinner, please...."

Ginny grimaced at the others and followed her mother out of the room, leaving us alone with Harry, Ron and Hermione. Both of them were watching him apprehensively, as though they feared he would start shouting again now that everyone else had gone.

"Alright then," Percy said, breaking the silence. "See y'all at dinner."

"Hey," Harry called back at us as I turned away. "Why are you really here?"

I turned to see him looking at us with an unusually suspicious look.

"What?" I asked.

"Why now?" Harry asked.

I tried to think of answer for that. No one had particularly asked us that question up until then. I'd just opened my mouth when-

"Because we have no one else now," Nico said, his eyes blazing.

Hermione backed away for a moment, almost surprised. She put a hand to her mouth. "I'm sorry."

Without a word, Nico went out of the room.

"It's alright," Percy sighed. "We'll go-"

But the rest of his words were drowned by a horrible, ear-splitting, blood-curdling screech.

"Oh, not that cursed witch again!" Annabeth moaned.

And that was the end of my anger. The woman had been extremely annoying the past few days ever since Hermione had stepped into the house. In a fit of rage, I stormed out the room and down the stairs. Jason tried to stop me, but it was no use.

Remus Lupin and Molly darted forward and tried to tug the curtains shut over the old woman, but they would not close and she screeched louder than ever, brandishing clawed hands as though trying to tear at their faces.

"Filth! Scum! By-products of dirt and vileness! Half-breeds, mutants, freaks, begone from this place! How dare you befoul the house of my fathers--"

Tonks apologised over and over again, dragging the huge, heavy troll's leg back off the floor; Molly abandoned the attempt to close the curtains and hurried up and down the hall, Stunning all the other portraits with her wand; and Sirius came charging out of the kitchen.

"Shut up, you horrible old hag, shut UP!" he roared, seizing the curtain Molly had abandoned.

Mrs. Black's face blanched.

"Yoooou!" she howled, her eyes popping at the sight of the man. "Blood traitor, abomination, shame of my flesh!"

"OH, THAT IS IT," I heard myself roar, and felt my legs stride to the portrait of Walburga Black.

I plucked a pair of scissors lying on the coffee table, and struck it into the portrait. The canvas tore into a large hole.

Mrs. Black screeched and howled. "BLOOD TRAITORS! WEREWOLVES!"

"YEAH? I'LL SHOW WHAT BLOODTRAITORS CAN DO-"

Jason interrupted, pulling me away by the waist. "Alex, don't."

"SHAME TO THE HOUSE OF BLACK! COWARDS!" Walburga yelled.

Nico was by my side. He pointed an extremely unwelcome hand-gesture at her. "YOU'RE GOING TO REGRET CALLING HER THAT."

"HOW DARE YOU BEFOUL THE HOUSE-"

"I said--shut--UP!" roared Sirius.

And with a stupendous effort he and Remus managed to force the curtains closed again.

The old woman's screeches died and an echoing silence tell. Panting slightly and sweeping his long dark hair out of his eyes, Sirius turned to face Harry.

"Hello, Harry," he said grimly, "I see you've met my mother."

"Your--?"

"My dear old mum, yeah," said Sirius. "We've been trying to get her down for a month but we think she put a Permanent Sticking Charm on the back of the canvas. Let's get downstairs, quick, before they all wake up again."

Sirius turned to me. He snatched the pair of scissors from me. "As for you, young lady, I did not expect this from you at all," he scolded.

I scoffed. "What did you expect, then?"

"I thought you'd be a good Ravenclaw and play a nice Stunning Jinx on her." He smiled. "But now I think you're more Gryffindor than you seem."

I looked at him, confused. "Whatever. See you at dinner."

I sort of liked Sirius. He was cool most times and he loved being in the fun. He always looked at the bright side, and loved being the centre of attention. Although not fully perfect, I thought he could be a true hero.

But his fate, I didn't like the odds at all..

_______________________________________

3K reads? ALREADY?

Wow y'all...

I'm so grateful for this!