Chapter 92 - Alex - Diagon Alley, Part 1

Apparently, the entrance was behind the Leaky Cauldron in a small, walled courtyard with a dustbin, because that's where the barman led us.

"Now," he said, taking out a stick- his wand, sorry, and he began counting. "Three up, two across- ah! There we are."

He tapped it with the stick- sorry, wand.

The brick kind of melted into a small hole.

"Woah," said Percy, amazed. 

The hole melted into a large archway.

"Welcome," said the barman, "to Diagon Alley."

Inside the Alley was an assortment of restaurants, shops, and other sights; some even had tables out front with colored umbrellas. 

The location was packed with witches and wizards. They browsed from shop to shop, talking loudly about 'school stuff.'

The barman nodded at us and left back to his pub. 

"First, we go to the Bank," Annabeth said. "Gringotts."

"I'm so glad we brought you, Annabeth. I can't remember a thing of what Chiron said," Percy told as we headed to the largest marble building that was located in the center of the place.

"Alright, remember," I said, "the place is run by goblins. So don't freak out when you look at them."

A set of white stairs led up to a set of burnished bronze doors. The doors were flanked by a goblin in a uniform of scarlet and gold. This was the entrance to Gringotts, and it led into a small entrance hall and another set of doors. Engraved on these silver doors were the words:

Enter, stranger, but take heed

Of what awaits the sin of greed

For those who take, but do not earn,

Must pay most dearly in their turn.

So if you seek beneath our floors

A treasure that was never yours,

Thief, you have been warned, beware

Of finding more than treasure there

"Nice warning," Jason said. 

Will let out a low whistle. "What can they find other than treasure?"

"Maybe vile stalactites," I said. "That's the best I can give."

"Or whales with terrible singing voice," Percy said. I nodded with him. 

Through these doors, also flanked with goblins, was a vast marble hall long counters stretching along its length with doors leading off to the vault passageways with around a hundred goblins sitting at them. There were too many doors to count leading off the hall, and yet more goblins were showing people in and out of these.

We made for the counter. 

"Good morning," I said, "we'd like access to our vault. Alexandra Marine."

"And," the goblin said, looking down at us from his high stool, "do you have your key, ma'am?"

"Uh, one minute," I said, turning to Jason. 

He fished out a tiny golden key from his pocket and handed it to me. 

"Stupid ladies' pockets," I murmured. I handed it over to the goblin.