Chapter 71 - Jason - I Get To Guard A Top Secret

It was special being with Alex. Sure, Pipes and I met every evening and all that, but Alex had become my very best friend. We met up at breakfast and talked about our futures, or schools, or anything, really.

Piper was almost always trying to make her Cabin not fight, so I couldn't exactly spend time with her. So Alex was probably the next best thing. (Okay, sorry. You were the best thing. Happy now?)

"I'll be leaving in a few days," she told me one night as we walked to our cabins after dinner.

"And how are we feeling about that?" I asked, smiling.

"Excited. Kinda sad? I don't know," she fidgeted with her pendant. "I mean, this place is cool and all-"

"But you wanna study, right?"

"Yeah."

I patted her shoulder. "Then we'll still see each other during vacations. And hey, you're gonna meet Percy as well now!"

Her face brightened up. "Yeah! I've been looking forward to that for days now."

"Give this to him," I handed her a bead. "He left it here before leaving. Chiron told me to give it to you."

I pressed another bead into her palm. "This is yours."

Alex took it and slid it onto her necklace at once. "Thanks." She sighed, looked at her cabin, and then turned to me. "Good night, Sparkle-Face."

"Good night, Oceanophile."

"Don't even think about calling me that," she warned me, and stepped into her Cabin, and closed the door.

I sighed, smiling, and walked to my Cabin. I fell on the bed and stared at the marble ceiling of the Cabin. 

Some sort of jumpy, crazy song was playing in the background. Children were dancing as though we were at some sort of folk dance event at a school ground. I was particularly focused on the young girl with sparkling blue eyes and black hair. 

"Come on, Celeste!" a voice sounded next to me. I turned and saw a young woman, probably around twenty-seven clapping to the song and cheering. She had a huge smile on her face. A diamond ring sparkled on her ring finger. Her blue eyes sparkled with joy, and her feet tapped to the music. She wore a long blue coat and a brown beret hat over her dark and gorgeous hair.  

"She looks just like you, doesn't she?" I heard myself speak. 

She turned to me, grinning. Only then did I realize who she was.

"We both know she's got your mischievous personality, Grace," she said.

 I put my arm around her waist and watched the young girl dance. I felt extremely confused. I didn't feel in control of the dream I was having.

I pulled her to me and kissed her forehead as the dance came to a slow. The kids turned and bowed to the audience. Applause filled the air. 

A few minutes later, the same young girl came running to us. She looked around four years old. She hugged Alex's legs. Alex bent down, picked up the girl and carried her on her hip.

"Mom!" Celeste said, "did you see it? Did you see it? Did you see it? I danced!" 

"Of course we did," Alex said, booping her nose with the kid's. "We were right here!"

"Yeah," I added. "It was wonderful, kid. You did great!"

"Where's Dylan?" the kid asked.

"We left him with the Uncle Percy today," Alex answered before I could ask 'Who?' "He's got a little bit of a cold, so we need to get back home real quick, okay sweetie?"