222. Fashion

222. Fashion: Go through a fashion magazine or browse fashion websites online and write about a style you love.

"Can freedom come from without?" she asked in her old speculative tone that had been missing these past few years. She held a lacy, flimy, gauzy thing in her hand, and several more were draped across her arm.

"I don't know... what do you think?"

"Does it matter?" She held up the cloth and inspected it. It was a sheer dress, with floral designs weaved into it. Her companion carefully watched her, hoping that she...

The girl threw the dress into the discard pile and her friend heaved a deep sigh. Wish denied.

"Yes, it does matter."

You matter. The words hung there. They weren't spoken, but they had been before.

The girl with the dresses looked away and scrutinized the next piece of clothing: a long skirt with mandala designs. Both of them knew what she was really doing though. Critiquing the style was her furthest intention; all of the clothes within the store were exactly suited to her tastes. No, she was trying to see gather up the courage to wear something so normal -- something that actually showed her recovering body and not just the baggy pants and shirts she had been hiding in.

The skirt was thrown away. The friend sighed. "Yes, I do think outward change can help with inward change."

"That's not exactly the answer I was looking for," she said, and cocked her head at a short leather jacket with fringe. She almost cast it aside, but after hesitating, she cautiously put it in the thus far empty "things to keep chair."

Her friend shrugged. "When a woman wants to change, it begins with her clothes." A pause. "Do you want to change?"

Her friend chewed on her bottom lip. Her bony hands rubbed her skeletal arms absently.

"Yes, I do," she said. With a sigh, she dug through the rejection pile and rescued the first dress.

*

Dedicated to my friend, Kaitlyn, who is recovering from an eating disorder and is such an inspiration for her humility and sweetness in sharing her story. Thank you for fighting, Kaitlyn.