317. Airplane

317. Airplane: Write about meeting someone on an airplane and a conversation you might have.

I didn't speak a word to the teenage kid sitting next to me. It didn't really occur to me to try. I had my laptop, and once the pilot said we could use our electronics, I continued to work. That's what would be waiting for me at the end of the runway when we landed: work. This plan ride represented an extra long commute.

I couldn't even tell you what the kid looked like, that's how completely unaware of him I was. He didn't have any headphones or even a book. He just stared out the window the entire time.

I finished two reports, though, and was feeling pretty satisfied, so I stretched my arms and glanced around at my fellow passengers. It was now 2am and most were sleeping or resting. The low buzz of the airplane muted whatever noise they would have made, though.

Then the kid spoke. Randomly. I don't do random.

"Do you know how sometimes we mistake airplanes in the sky for stars?" he said.

I looked around  but he was talking to me. There was no doubt about it.

"Yeah," I said instinctively.

"I wonder if anyone is making wishes on us right now," he said thoughtfully, and returned to looking out the window.

I stared at him for a long time, but he had said whatever he wanted to and refocused on the dark view from outside. I returned to my work.

But -- and I say this reluctantly -- but I thought about his words for a long time.