310. Movie Conversation

310. Movie Conversation: Use a memorable conversation from a favorite movie to inspire your writing.

I just saw Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them! And yes, I am totally okay with selling my soul to this new series. / Spoilers ahead.

*

Some people would never understand, and Newt tried to be okay with that. He wasn't good with people, and some people weren't good with animals.

But it was hard. He was a quiet lad. He was prone to passionate speeches on the attributes of different creatures, but when it came to everyday conversations, Newt was lost. He didn't know how to talk to people easily. It was different for others.

He had always been more comfortable with creatures. They could always be reached. Humans were the terrifying, unpredictable ones.

Leda had never been interested in animals like him. She was different, like him, and it was the fact of their differences that bonded them rather than the differences themselves. Newt Scamander had gone through life, with his fascination for creatures, alone. He was trying to educate the wizarding world on the value of such animals, but it was one thing to write a book and another thing for that book to have an effect.

His manuscript was done. All of the words written out. All he had to do was send it in, but before that, he had to fulfill a promise.

Jacob wasn't part of his plan. He was a muggle -- or a No-maj, as the Americans called him. Yet Newt couldn't deny that he liked Jacob. There was an easy humor and friendliness and comradeship to him. Newt had never experienced this before, and he found he liked it.

Letting Jacob meet his animals wasn't a part of his plan either, but then again, Newt had never been big on plans. He didn't regret it either. When Newt had told Jacob about his animals, he saw that same wonder for the beautiful creatures dawn in Jacob's eyes that always lived in Newt's soul. Newt even let Jacob feed some of them.

Newt didn't know what he was doing. Friendship wasn't exactly his thing.

But -- but -- he liked it. And there didn't seem to be anything more natural than keeping Jacob, a muggle who he just happened to bump into, by his side.