8 : hell unravels •

Status : Edited

<<<>>>

I woke up after a long, tiring night. Not a drop of booze I had consumed, but my head throbbed like the worst hangover had to attack me that morning. I had college that day.

The first thought that came to mind was a long, blazing hot, shower to wash the mess I was. To be honest, I felt a lot better. While lathering, I made a mental plan on how I was going to tackle the day. I'll sit with new people, avoid Navya and Madhyam completely and try to stay out of any drama at all. Set! 

I fastened my towel into a knot at my cleavage before unlocking the bathroom. I stood in front of the mirror on my dresser, drying my hair with the other towel, while I heard the window creak. I tilted my head to see what was going on, and there he jumped through the curtains into my room.

He scanned me from head to toe and back up. What was he looking at? I glanced at myself again and jumped to pull my duvet around. He smirked while leaning on the windowsill, with one leg on it.

"Don't you have any sense? Is this how you enter a girl's bedroom?" I almost screamed, alternating gazes between the door and him. I was pretty covered in the basic sense, but he took me by complete surprise and I was more nervous than embarrassed. Also, any reason to accuse him.

He stepped closer, fixating at my eye. I retreated until I hit the wall behind. Shit. I looked both ways panicked. He put both his arms on either sides of me and closed against me. I turned my head to the side and he ran the tip of his nose along my cheek. My breathing hitched and my face felt warm. He stopped at my ear. "I came to see you." He whispered into my ear and stepped back. 

He was smirking. I frowned. "I came here to pick you up. Mom said you'll be going alone. So I thought since we're going to the same place, why not pick you up?" He sounded nice and genuine.

"Wh... Why are you being... nice to me? You..." My chest brushed against his and I tensed up. Trust me, he's very attractive up close, it's hard to not react.

"Ssshhh..." He placed his finger on my lip. His gaze shifted from my face to my lips. My eyes traveled to his finger, that was lingering on my lips. I looked back at him and he ran his thumb along my lower lip.

"You smell good, Nandini." His breath fanned my face. The power of mint evoked my senses. These feelings were new. 

"Manik..." I pushed him away gently. When I opened my eyes, he was leaning on my closet with his legs crossed. There was some amount of teasing involved but I didn't give him the satisfaction of admitting to being played. 

"Okay fine. Now if you'll get ready quickly, it'll be better. You don't want your parents knowing that your fiancé was in your room when you were changing, do you?" He smiled and held his forehead with his hands. I wondered what he was doing wearing a jacket in 30 degrees heat–it was a statement piece perhaps. "Kya? Look kya de rahi ho?"

"Main tumhare saamne change nahi karungi." I shouted at him and he faked a long laugh. Ugh. This man.

"Well, you have the bathroom. I'll be sticking around here till you get ready." He propped himself on my dressing chair and put a leg over the other. I don't know how long I will be able to put up with his cockiness, God! I walked towards my closet without anymore tantrums. I pulled out a red kurti and leggings.

"Ah, red. That's my favourite colour." 

"Like I care." 

***

We went to college on his bike. Stupid Manik needed every chance to play around with me. He had a BMW but he got his bike only to pick me up. How opportunistic of him. On top of all that, he made me skip my breakfast because of his lame idea of sneaking into my room. Bolt the windows, Nandini. It's a lesson learnt.

I got down from the bike while he looked at himself into the side mirrors and adjusted his hair. God! 

I went straight to the canteen, ordered a sandwich as my makeshift breakfast and sat on an empty table. It wasn't even two minutes before I heard, "Oho Miss. Drama Queen...", a voice from behind. It was Cabir, Manik's friend, waving at me. I didn't want to be unnecessarily rude, but I didn't like them. I smiled and turned away. Jerks.

"So you're ignoring us, huh?" Alya stepped towards me and pulled a chair from my table to seat herself. The others followed her and soon I was surrounded by 4 idiots of the Manik Malhotra gang.

"Guys listen, I really don't want any trouble." I stood up but I had no way to escape. They were surrounding me. "Could you like, move? I am getting late for my class."

"Sandwich toh lelo apna!" (Take your sandwich at least.)

I took the foil wrapped triangle from Mukti before muttering "Thanks."

"Hmm... Nandini Murthy. Second year Biomedical Science student. Scholar. Shifted from Mangalore because of your father's job. Lives in Andheri East." 

"What do you want from me?" I looked at every one of them terrified. Half the college became an audience. All the four of them burst into chuckles while I was beyond confused. These guys are so weird. 

"Look Nandini, since you asked... we have theory reports due Monday." 

"So?"

"You complete those for us, and we're even." What Alya said went against my principles. I didn't even have the time to do my lab records, how could I do theirs? 

"I'm sorry, I can't." They laughed at each other. Ugh. Attitude-freaks.

"Did we say you have an option?"

"I will never cheat, that's it."

"Well then, is that so?" Mukti stood up and pressed something against my forehead. "Then here." I took in my heads and it read;

It's just the beginning.

They kicked their chairs and walked away. Fab 5. All 4 of them had the same print at the back of their shirts. I looked at the note again, dumb bullies they were, and tossed it away.

***

The lecturer was sketching up examples of understanding structures of chemical compounds using the VSEPR theory. So far, I managed to dismiss any trouble, sat on the other end of the lecture room with two quiet girls, and Organic Chemistry was the last lecture I had for the day. 

My eyes were on the ticking clock, filtering out information until the bell rung. "Okay, so I'll see you all again tomorrow." The class dispersed. I stood up from my table and headed to the exit, when I was tripped over by Alya's leg who happened to bunk her lecture to attend mine. I fell onto my professor and into his arms. I heard hoots and Cabir recorded the scene. Embarrassing would be an understatement to what that situation was like.

The lecturer was at least my father's age if not younger and lying in his arms was the worst feeling ever. I was on the verge of crying when I saw almost 20 people witnessing the scene. Moreover, Manik was sitting there, on the last seat, enjoying the scene. I had higher expectations from the man... guys are generally possessive of the women they're involved with; yesterday was a good reflection of that side of him. 

"Chal. Issi professor ke saath kaam kar lete hai." Cabir said and led the way out. Manik stepped out after him and bent closer to me, while I was scurrying out with my head hung low. He ran his fingers through the strands of my hair.

"Bye Nandu..." He cheeked as he walked away. What I felt was beyond humiliation in its essence. 

<<<>>>