Chapter-44: Insecurities

(A/N: Sorry for the delay. I have an exam tomorrow but then because of the delay, I am taking my time out to write. As I mentioned, the next parts will all be private. Do follow to read. Thanks for all your support. Love, your writer.)

------------

I felt a little guilty for making him search for me in college. Knowing him, he would be so worried if he didn't find me there. I was lost in deep thought, until the oven clicked. I opened the door, slid the cake out and onto the countertop. It looked perfectly baked. I slid a skewer slowly in, and withdrew to check if it had cooked enough. To my pleasure, it was just perfect. With a small smile, I pulled out an icing bag and began decorating the cake. Though it was going to be a grand birthday party, Zyrah loved anything her uncle did for her. She would love this too.

I piped the icing over the cake and spread it evenly to form a coat. I put it in the blast chiller after the icing was done and began to clear the countertop, still thinking about Manik. Maybe I should just, call him? No. It'll ruin Mom's plan.

I walked slowly to the room again and sat in front of the mirror. I thought of touching up on makeup, but thought against it. I was in a dilemma. I just was worried about Manik. I went back to Nyonika Mom and restlessly asked her to call Manik and ask him to return.

"Manik..."
"Mom, Nandini college main nahi hai. Raghav Sir final year students ke liye class le rahe hai. I don't know where Nandini is. I have searched for her everywhere." He was on the verge of breaking down, but not literally crying. He sounded so down and I felt sad. I signaled Mom to tell him. She nodded and smiled.
"Manik, Nandini ghar aagayi. Tum bhi aajao." She said and looked at me for assurance. A mild smile played along my lips.
"Kab? Kaise aayi? Is she fine now? Phone do usse." He spoke all in a jiffy and I knew he would be so mad at me.
"Tum pehle aa jao."
"Mom, mujhe Nandini ki awaaz sunni hai." He stressed, trying to stay as calm as he could.
"Manik... Just come home." She snapped and cut the call.

"Mom, aapne phone kyun kaata? He will be so angry at me now." My heart literally sank hearing him. I knew he was so worried about me. Maybe I just crossed the line this time. All I wanted to do was surprise him and tease him a little but this had crossed limits.

"He'll be okay, beta. Relax." She pat my shoulder gently and went away, leaving me alone, thinking of him. Just then, the door burst open and Manik came running, all disheveled.

"Nandini kahan hai? NANDINI!" He spotted me and literally reached me in two steps and grabbed me tight in his arms. He held me tight for a few seconds and then breaking apart, gathered my face along with my hair, cupping my head in his hands, he looked at me to register that I was with him.

"Nandini... Do you know I searched for you the entire college and when I couldn't find you... I just... I almost died, Nandini. I can't..." He began to act a little strange. Probably I had got him to worry deeply about me. Shit! I am such a terrible wife.

"Ssshhh... Main teek hu. Dekho. I am fine. Kuch nahi hua mujhe." I wrapped my arms around his waist, shoving my head into his body, snuggling with him. He lifted me effortlessly like he carried a baby by wrapping his arms around my waist. My body was still clinging onto him which made it a little hard for him to move, nevertheless he did.

He lifted me up the stairs to our room, slammed the door behind him and pushing me against it, kissed me ferociously. We broke momentarily for air and he again began to dominate over his possession.

"Nandini... You have no idea how scared I was..." He kissed me again, biting my lip gently to allow his tongue to slide in. We were literally into the moment. My hands were gripping the hair at his nape and his was ensuring the door remained shut with the pressure of his hands.