Chapter-23: Murthy To A Malhotra

(A/N: Ahh. Okay. Now time to answer some questions. Many of you were disappointed with Nandini's last line in the previous chapter and some of you found it funny too. Hehe. To clear it out, it wasn't that she didn't like the marriage or she felt for Madhyam. After seeing him, she developed the fear again. The fear of losing her parents who loved her just like how she lost her friends she loved. She wanted the wedding to happen for her parents but at the same time, she was afraid to lose them. Plus she believes in true love and she thought her marriage would be a love marriage. That's what disappointed her. Hope I cleared the confusion. Now please vote and comment. We're on rank #2. Can we get it to one? Loads of love. ;)

-----------

My eyes fell on Madhyam, who had just walked away. I shut my eyes tight as the loud music ruptured my eardrums. Lots of flowers, rice, and sacred stuff were showered on us, to bless us. Manik leaned closer to tie the thread around and I held his sherwani dupatta tight with both my hands. His hands did the job and he stepped back to look at me.

"Happy Married Life, Manik." Manik's friends and parents pounced on him and he smiled faintly.

"Congratulations Nandu." All my relatives congratulated and side-hugged me. Amma and Rishabh were crying. I smiled at everyone with teary eyes and looked at Manik, who was running his tongue along his lips nervously. He didn't know how to react either.

It was such an awkward feeling. I turned from Nandini Murthy to Nandini Manik Malhotra. I lost my identity with my family. I no longer carried their name. Officially, I didn't belong to them anymore. All those days I was called Nandkishore's daughter. Now I would be called Manik Malhotra's wife.

Everyone else dispersed from the mandap. Only Manik and I were seated again to complete a mantra, holding his hand, declaring ourselves married to the world in the name of God. We stood up and went to the Malhotras. I bent to touch their feet and seek their blessings but Nyonika Aunty stopped us and hugged me.

"Welcome to our family." She kissed me affectionately on my head and Rakesh Uncle pat my cheeks gently, advising me to keep smiling and assuring that they won't let that smile fade. Manik hugged both his parents and Nyonika Aunty got a little emotional about Manik.

"Beta, we have a surprise for you. Baad me dekh lena." He pat Manik's shoulder and Manik walked towards my parents. I hugged Amma tight. She was crying like a baby with Rishabh. I assured her I'll be okay and that I would call every day. I hugged Appa also and he kissed me on my forehead.

"You're not alone okay? Aisa mat samajna ki now that you're married, we don't exist. We are always and will always be your parents. Nothing and nobody can change that. Okay Nandu?" I smiled and nodded and Manik side-hugged Amma and hugged Appa too. We went to Manik's friends and Mukti and Dhruv were crying. Manik hugged Dhruv tight and a tear escaped his eyes. Mukti was wailing and Manik hugged her, caressing her head.

"Manik, kya yaar? Mujhe ditch karli tune? Aaj status post karunga, 'my girlfriend is now a married man'." He said dramatically and got another gentle punch from Manik. He laughed and hugged Manik. "Vaise, aaj bhi drinks milega na?"

"Kamine." Manik hit Cabir and Cabir smirked.

"Congratulations Nandini." His friends congratulated and I just faked a smile. I was becoming so good at hiding my emotions.

"Nandu! Happy Married Life. Manik, congrats." Navya came running to us and extended her hand. Cabir and Mukti walked away looking at all that exasperation. Manik just smiled and Navya felt rejected.

***

I was made to sit next to Manik for the buffet dinner after that annoying shoe stealing game. How do people find such games fascinating? Nyonika Aunty made it a point to put extra food onto my plate, after that stunt I had pulled out there, accidentally. Rishabh was next to me, picking on the food. He was so disturbed to see me leave. On the other hand, Manik was chomping the plate off his hands, with the amount of tasty food he got served with.