°•¤●Eternal Love: Dedicating●¤•°

[Chapter 36]

"I'm sorry, the Medic-Cuboid?"

"Yes. The Medicuboid is something that's currently being developed by the national government."

Government?

Hmm. Somehow a familiar man in a suit and glasses crossed my mind upon hearing that word.

"It's the code name for the world's first medical full-dive system."

"Huh? A full-five gear for medical treatment?"

"Precisely. For people with vision and hearing problems, that machine is a true blessing. The potential within it far exceeds expectations. In case you're unaware, Amusphere technology deals with sensory assists for the eyes and ears."

Sensory assist?

Wait.

Oh my god.

The headaches began to spike out of nowhere. My anxiety started to accumulate rapidly the moment I realized where this conversation would be heading.

Why is Yuuki related to a machine like that, something made to help with physical disabilities?

"However, this tech is not only meant for signal transmissions within the brain. They're also sensation-cancelers. They do so via an electromagnetic pulse sent directly here," He tapped the back of his neck, "to temporarily paralyze the nerves."

I nodded, hoping my inner tension would cease.

"In other words, it functions just like general anaesthesia."

I see.

Wait, something is off.

"Shouldn't that be impossible? The sensory levels you can interact with via Amusphere are very limited. In other words, any touch or smell you feel is less potent in VR compared to the real world." I gave him my fair share of speculation.

"My gosh, you're absolutely right! That's exactly correct. Are you by any chance a science nerd?"

"A massive one, but back to your point."

"Right. You're correct, the Amusphere... No, its progenitor, the NerveGear itself, is designed in a way that would not be able to completely replicate real senses nor numb any external receptors. This makes it difficult to be used to numb the pain during surgery or the curing process of mental illnesses." 

!?

Surgery? Mental illness?

What is he implying?! What does all of this have to do with Yuuki?!

His eyes lit up and beamed at me, losing himself in his explanation about the wonders of full-dive technology. Then here I am, trying to grasp the reason behind why he's telling me all of this.

"When these previous designs fail, the government has created an amplified variant to reach these requirements. The Medicuboid is the result of their efforts, it enhances the electromagnetic pulse's output further than any other VR equipment that came before it. After running tests and fitting it to a specialized bed, we can now treat anything with positive progress. The brain of a patient in a coma, the shellshock suffered by war veterans, even the spinal column of a crippled man."

"Huh?!" I looked at him surprised, "Y-You mean, fixing permanent disabilities a-a-and engraved trauma?"

"Yes! If this is put into use, it will change medicine forever. With the Medicuboid's specs, you could combine it with a camera to allow AR-image processing in real-time too, allowing the blind to see and the deaf to hear!"

"That's remarkable. It sounds like a true dream machine..." I awed.

"... Indeed, it is. I'm glad you are just as interested in it as I am..."

He took off his glasses, and the brightness in his eyes began to succumb to reality. The light now ceased to shine.

"But, with that being said... it's not perfect for everything." He solemnly spoke, "It doesn't treat underlying illnesses."

"... Oh..."

The spark of realization stroke me down in an instant. "Oh no..."

"What we hoped the Medicuboid could do the most, is save those in terminal care."

GH!

My fingers are twitching. The nerves across my upper body are tightening, making me shiver. I grabbed my hand under the table to restain it.

WHY? Why did his tone change? Why is he looking at me like that?

He hopes the Medicuboid could save terminally ill patients, right? I understand why he would be so sad, but why look at me specifically?!

...

Unless...

...

"Sir Kurahashi." I gripped the table.

"?..."

"... What does this... have to do... with Yuuki."

He grew silent.

Not long after, he looked down and closed his eyes. A warning was given to me following his next words.

"Yuuki told me that if you wanted to, I was to tell you everything I know about her. But, as far as I'm concerned, you may wish later... that I hadn't."

Her smile flashed before my eyes as I gave a final reevaluation of my decision.

Her laugh, her tears, and her elegance kept on repeating in my memories, solidifying my will indisputably.

She is the person I've devoted myself to, without even the slightest doubt.

Even if we were continents apart, be it a storm between us, I'll still do anything in and beyond my power for her.

I was prepared.

As long as I get to see her again, come what may.

My blazing heart won't falter.

Once more, she will have me reflected within her eyes.

"I won't regret anything anymore."

"Huh?"

"Please, go ahead. Tell me, everything."

He smiled proudly, respecting my display of loyalty.

"That's what I'm here for!" My words rang loud and clear.

[The End of Chapter 36]