°•¤●Eternal Love: Unraveling●¤•°

[Chapter 37]

The modern hallway emanated light, brightening our path as I followed the doctor.

Walking across them felt like I was in some sort of space facility, with how the design seemed airtight and the smell of sanitisers to boot.

"Yuuki was born in May 2011." The doctor says, his hands in his pocket.

I see.

"It was a difficult birth, and her mother was given a C-section, a birthing process done by opening up the belly rather than the traditional way out the back end. It was an ordeal that sparked anxiety among the nurses and her father. At the time, there were no obvious solutions other than what had been decided."

I faced down as we walked, still paying close attention.

"Everything went smoothly with the doctor present. However, there was an... accident during the procedure, and Yuuki lost a lot of blood because of it. Without a second wasted, she underwent a blood transfusion to make up for the loss."

The cold-to-the-touch walls scrapped my elbow as we went through twists and turns around the corridor.

"But unfortunately, as unlikely as it may seem, the blood given to her during the operation was, in fact, infected."

...

I held my wrist tighter.

You're not drowning today, Akashi.

Keep breathing, even when it feels you're suffocating.

Keep walking, even when your feet weigh heavier by the second.

Keep your focus, so that you may see her again.

"The virus was detected several months after the ordeal, during a port transfusion her mother took in September. Although only a short time had passed since her birth, her family had already..."

He stopped in his tracks, turning to face his left.

A door.

I inhaled silently, reading the words written above.

"Special Measurement Devices, Lab 1."

...

Keep your head straight, fight through it.

Scanning his access card on the slot provided, he opened the metal door.

"... I won't sugarcoat any of this, but this is it. I wish you luck." He walked in, and I then followed suit.

My hood was all that was left between me and total despair, acting as the last sign of comfort available.

You're so close. Hold on a bit longer.

What lies beyond the room was yet another corridor, but the left side is, for some reason, windowed with glass.

It's dark on the other side.

"The room beyond this glass is an air-controlled clean room, so you can't go in. Please understand..."

...

He taps the modules, the lights beyond the wall shined.