Calder Memorial Trophy - Owen Power

Y'all I don't have a clue how these things go but it's okay. So if it's off, don't mind it.

Recently, the finalists for the Calder Award, trophy given to the player who succeeded most in his first season in the NHL, and Owen is one of the finalists. I'm really proud of him and we're flying out to Nashville later tonight.

"Brynnnnnnnn" I heard Owen call out as he walked in the apartment. He was out with a couple of the boys at a pride parade fundraiser or something. "I found you!" He exclaimed as he jumped around smiling.

"Why are you so giddy?" I giggled as I packed the dress I'm wearing to the award show. 

"I might get an award!" He said in a 'duh' tone. I shook my head as I threw his duffle bag at him. "Ow." He said in monotone as it hit his face.

"Oh please. You're a professional hockey player." I laughed as he put on a look of fake hurt. 

About 30 minutes later we were driving to the airport. I rented a car for us so that we can go to the beach or into town whenever we want since we decided to stay for about a week before camps start. 

When we got to the airport Owen gave the valet his keys and we went inside to check in and go through security. We found a small restaurant and sat down to get some food.

"Hi! I'm Lainey and I'll be your waitress today. Can I get you an- I mean, you guys any drinks?" She was staring at Owen the whole time before realizing I'm here. I rolled my eyes.

"Can I get a coffee with milk please?" I politely asked. She looked at me with a glare before writing it down.

"I'll also get a coffee with milk." Owen said a bit less polite after seeing the looks. Lainey batted her lashes at him.

"Of course!" She forced her voice higher pitched as she wrote it down and left.

"God I hate people." I said as Owen laughed and patted my arm lightly.

*Nashville*

We landed in Nashville after an almost 4 hour flight. We walked down with me leaning into Owen half awake. After getting the car, we drove to the hotel the other award nominees are staying at. We walked in and saw Jack Hughes and Nico Hischier sitting in the lounge area.

"Sup Jack. Nico." Owen spoke as he saw them. Somehow they know each other, but how they do I couldn't tell you.

"Hey Owen." Nico said as Jack sent a wave. "Who's the girlfriend?" He asked while raising his eyebrows up and down.

"I'm Brynn." I stuck out my hand and he shook it. Jack shook my hand too. "How do you guys even know each other?" I asked the question we're all wondering.

"Well..we don't even know." Jack replied for the first time with a laugh. His tooth was fixed I noticed.

"Got the tooth fixed?" I questioned. I was born in New Jersey so naturally I follow them.

"First thing I did." He laughed. Nico and Owen were just watching with wide eyes since neither of us ever became friends with someone this fast. Nico turned to Owen before speaking.

"Platonic soulmates?" Nico asked Owen. 

"For sure." The two laughed as me and Jack were busy fangirling over Taylor Swift.

"My little sister, Sky, introduced me to Taylor Swift. I don't even know how she knows her. She fucking six!" Jack ranted while I laughed. All of us moved up to mine and Owen's room since we're right beside them. 

Me and Jack are sitting on the bed, me on my stomach and him cross legged, just getting to know each other. Owen is playing NHL23 with Nico. Owen is playing with the Brandon Wheat Kings and Nico is playing with the Calgary Hitmen.

"My twin brother, Luca, used to force me to play video games with him. Still does every holiday." I rolled my eyes.

"My brother, Luke, plays with a Luca at Michigan." Jack said out of nowhere.

"Wait. Is your brother Luke Hughes?" I asked him. He nodded confused. "My twin brother is Luca Fantilli, our younger brother is Adam!" I exclaimed. His eyes lit up. 

"We're basically related." He joked as I laughed.

Eventually Jack and Nico left while me and Owen went to bed. We have to get up early tomorrow since he has interviews and stuff in the morning. I layed my head on his chest and he kissed the top of my head before turning off the light. Darkness came over my mind.

*Awards - Media*

Me and Owen just got to the venue and I'm still half asleep as I went to help set up. Owen walked over to the media area for interviews and media for the Sabres/NHL.

I was helping get tables and chairs set up when I felt glasses on my face. I turned around and saw Owen standing there with a child-like grin.

"So cute." He joked as he squeezed my cheeks. I smacked his hands away, put his glasses back on his face and glaring at him. He pouted playfully when I went back to what I was doing.

"Don't you have shit to do?" I asked him as he sat in one of the chairs.

"No. I'm done. Jack and Nico are filming a video for the Devils media with Ruff." He replied as he put his head in his arms on the table. I sat next to him since I'm finished what I needed to do.

I put my head on his shoulder and closed my eyes. He pulled me onto his lap and moved us to a couch in the lounge. He hugged me close to him as I passed out sleeping. Unbeknownst to us, the media snapped a picture.

That picture was fun to see on the internet when we woke up. We both went to the table before anyone was here. About 30 minutes later, Jack and Nico sat down at the 4 seat table and smirked at us.

"Tired?" Jack joked. I smacked him on the back of the head. "Ow! What the fu-" He cut himself off upon realizing there were probably players and their kids here.

"Watch that language." I grinned. He went to argue when the announcer for the awards went up onto the stage. They let us know that they started streaming and to stay quiet. When the lady said that, she glanced in Jack's direction knowing he tended to talk.

"Today, we're going to start with the Calder Memorial Trophy." Owen grabbed my hand in anticipation. "This trophy goes to the leagues best rookie. Our nominees are: Matt Beniers from the Seattle Kraken, Owen Power from the Buffalo Sabers, and Stuart Skinner from the Edmonton Oilers." Everyone cheered upon hearing the nominees. Jack and Nico gave reassuring looks to Owen. "Now, the winner for the 2022-23 Calder Memorial Trophy is.." He dragged it along before saying a name. "Owen Power of the Buffalo Sabers." Owen smiled and stood up.

He walked onto the stage and got the trophy, taking a picture with a few people. He walked back to the table grinning. I hugged him and pecked his lips. 

"I'm so proud of you." I whispered in his ear as he hugged me again. "So proud."

***

Requested by idy1166

WC: 1208