Chapter Fourteen~

I woke up in the car, the sun in my eyes. I blinked, shaking my head, trying to get away from it.

"Ah, bright, bright light," I mumbled, rubbing my eyes.

"Guten Morgen!" "¡Buenos días!" "Bonjour!" the males chimed.

I groaned. "Wai... wha...?"

"Mid afternoon, Czech Republic, and France and I have figured out long ago how to get over a hangover fast," Antonio explained promptly. "Doing better?"

I shook my head vigorously, forcing my eyes open. "Yeah... I think."

They laughed.

"Oh!" Francis said suddenly. "Désolé for last night. It's what we do when we get drunk around a girl." (Sorry.)

"Sí," Antonio agreed. "Sorry."

I smiled. "It's okay. I know what drunk people do."

Prussia stayed silent.

The other two smiled at me and the ride back to Romania was silent. France and Spain stayed in the car while Gilbert and I went up to the house.

The door flew open at my touch, revealing a very angry Romania.

"Gilbert. Do you know what you did."

He nodded. "Ja. I know."

The blond narrowed his eyes. "Do you understand the consequences for it...?"

I suddenly felt a pang of sympathy towards the German, but I quickly shoved it away. It was his fault.

But he did save you from France and Spain~, a small voice spoke in the back of my head.

Yeah, I countered, but that wouldn't have been necessary if he had just left me alone.

Fair enough.

I sneaked inside only to be tackled by a small Moldova.

"Carmen!" he cried. Literally. "You're safe!"

Good God you remind me of Finn... I ruffled his head. "Yup! You had doubts?"

He sniffled. "I thought that maybe Russia had gotten you!"

I hugged him. "I'm safe. Look? I'm fine."

He wiped the tears away. "Y-yeah I *hiccup!* see that..."

I ruffled his hair, standing just as Romania stormed away, leaving a German at the door. I walked over to him, offering him a questioning smile.

"You know if you had just let me be this wonldn't have happened, right...?"

He nodded, pulling his hair. "Ja... Das ist wahr..."

"But..." I started, looking away to hide my blush. "But um... Thanks... For last night..."

"Bitta. I couldn't allow zhose perverts to treat you the vay zhey normally vould."

I looked back to see Gilbert smiling. It was an actual smile. Not a smirk, not a grin, but a smile. I had never seen that before. His face looked... Kind.

"Carmen," came a sharp voice from behind me. "Leave those three alone. You don't need to be in their company."

"R-right... Romania..." I acknowledged, looking down. "You should probably go now, Gilbert. France and Spain are waiting."

"J-ja..." He hesitated for a second, but then hurried away down the steps. I closed the door and leaned against it with a sigh.

"What, yearning for your love?" Romania asked tartly.