30- The Ship Stops At Starbucks

********

********

I was jolted to my senses by the horn of a cruise ship.

I had taken one for the team and offered to steer all night whilst the crew got some sleep.

I had been daydreaming (although can you really call it day dreaming if it's in the night) all night, nothing had happened, there had been no land in sight and no monsters to fight so my night had been dull to say the least.

"What in Hades name was that?" Percy came charging onto deck dressed in pyjama bottoms and a crooked bronze breast plate.

Tourists on the cruise ship were waving at the Argo II as the rest of the crew hurried onto deck looking sleepy.

The horn blasted again as the ship proceeded into the open sea and my eyes were able to see what was beyond them.

"Wow." I whistled, everyone else followed my gaze, "The Rock Of Gibraltar, we're at the mouth of the Mediterranean."

"In the old days they called this area the Pillars of Hercules. The Rock is one pillar, the other is an African mountain." Annabeth stated.

"Hercules huh," Percy frowned, "That guy was like the Starbucks of Ancient Greece. Everywhere you turn-there he is."

"The Pillars marked the end of the known world for the Greeks," I added.

Annabeth nodded, "The Romans said the Pillars were inscribed with a Latin warning..."

"Non plus ultra," Percy said.

"Nothing further beyond." Annabeth looked at her boyfriend with a stunned expression, "how did you know?"

"I'm looking at it." Percy explained.

Sure enough, there it was. A top the cliffs stood a figure. Hercules.

"Hercules," I pointed at him, "The most powerful demigod of all time, we should send a group to see him, ask for his permission to enter the Mare Nostrum."

"Me," Jason volunteered, "He's my half brother, maybe he'll be friendly to me."

"We need our best diplomat," Annabeth added, "Someone who is good with words." Everyone turned to look at Piper.

********

The meeting with Hercules could have gone better. Jason and Piper returned to the ship being pelted with all sorts of fresh produce.

The Argo took off, having a some coconuts and water melons lobbed at us as we retreated.

The Mare Nostrum was just as advertised. We began to be attacked by monsters every ten minutes. We took to the air (thank the Gods) which allowed my sea sickness to ebb a bit and for me to be of more use.

I helped Jason fight off harpies, wild pegasi and some monsters that I didn't even know the names of.

Eventually we landed back in the sea and Jason and Percy swapped.

It was night so Percy, Annabeth, Leo and me were on the night shift.

Leo took the steering. Annabeth and Percy were having a deep conversation that looked important and I was pacing.

I was still confused about what had happened in Charleston, not really sure what to make of the Eidolon's words or the explosion.

"LEO STOP!" Percy yelled, just then the ship seemed to hit something, I was thrown forwards and hurried to draw my sword as the ship was over run. 

Chapter 30! Gods this is going to be a long book (apologies)
Remember to vote, comment and be amazing!
~Em xx