52- The Dining Pavilion Is A Lovely Place For Peaches

********

********

Chiron invited Harley to explain the rules of his three legged death race.

"And they'll be like ZOOM!" Harley explained, "And then BUZZ! And POW! You have to be really quick or you'll die and it's awesome."

"Sounds like a hoot." I muttered.

Chiron went on to explain all of the different injuries in the past race.

"Chiron." Malcom from the Athena cabin raised his hand, "just going to throw this out there... we've had three campers disappear. Is it really wise to be running a dangerous obstacle course?"

"An excellent point Malcom, but we will be staying away from the woods. Whilst we investigate, the race fosters important team building skills and expands our knowledge of the Labyrinth."

"As in Daedalus's Labyrinth?" Apollo asked Austin.

"During the war with Gaia it reopened." Austin explained, "we've been trying to map it ever since."

"That's impossible." Apollo said, "Also insane. The Labyrinth is a malevolent sentient creation! It can't be mapped or trusted."

"It's different now." Austin told him, "Since Daedalus died... it doesn't feel evil. Not quite as deadly."

"Oh that's hugely reassuring. So of course you decided to run a a three-legged race through it!" I exclaimed.

"The other thing... Nobody wants to disappoint Harley." Will said.

"Also keep in mind," Chiron was saying, "that none of the disappearances have been linked to the Labyrinth. Remain with your partner and you should be safe... at least as safe as you can be in a three legged death race."

"Yeah!" Harley said excitedly, "and no one has even died yet."

"In the face of a crisis," Chiron continued, "it's important to stick to our regular activates. We must stay alert and in top condition. Our missing campers would expect no less. Now, as to the teams for the race, you will be allowed to choose your partner..."

There was a mad rush of campers choosing their partners, in which Will, who had Nico clinging to him in a clear sign that they were partners, put his hand on my arm.

"You are forbidden from participating." He told me. I pouted, "I'm your doctor," Will declared, "and you are not participating in a three legged death race whilst you're pregnant."

"All right everyone, settle down!" Chiron struck his hoof on the ground. "The race will be tomorrow afternoon. Thank you, Harley for the various lethal surprises you have in store for us."

"BLAM!" Harley yelled as he ran back to the Hephaestus table.

"This brings us to our other news." Chiron said, "We have three newcomers today. Firstly we would like to welcome back Ariadne." The campers all smiled at me, and I grinned back, "secondly please welcome the god Apollo! Now I know it is unusual, but gods do become mortal from time to time. You should not be overly alarmed. Apollo's presence among us could be a good omen, a chance for us to..." he seemed to lose track of his own argument, "Ah... do something good. I'm sure the best course of action will become clear in time. Treat him as you would any new camper."

Connor Stoll raised his hand, "Does that mean the Ares cabin should stick Apollo's head in the toilet?"

"Please do." I said which made several campers laugh.

Sherman from the Ares cabin snorted, "We don't do that to everyone, just newbies who deserve it."

"Thankyou Sherman," Chiron continued. "It's good to know that you won't be giving the god of archery a swirly. Finally, we welcome a new demigod, Meg McCaffrey."

Meg stood up, all hell broke loose. Connor and Sherman attacked Meg.

I sipped my lemonade.

Peaches the karpoi appeared and jumped on Connor.

I sipped my lemonade.

"Get it off!" Connor yelled. Demigods all drew their swords.

"I wouldn't if I were you." I warned them.

I sipped my lemonade.

"Kill it!" a camper yelled.

"No!" Apollo yelled. Kayla notched an arrow.

I sipped my lemonade.

"Peaches get off him!" Meg said. Peaches hopped off and clung to Meg's leg.

"Meg get out of the way," Nico said, "That thing is dangerous."

"I really wouldn't if I were you," I said again.

"No!" Meg screamed, "Don't kill him." Kayla drew her bow, Julia Feingold unsheathed a dagger.

"Wait!" Apollo pleaded.

Julia charged, Kayla shot her arrow.

I disguarded my lemonade.

I hardly noticed what happened next, but next thing I knew Kayla's arrow had been sliced from the air and Julia had been disarmed and Meg stood there with two black swords.

"What the Hades," Connor demanded, "Who is this kid?"

A glowing symbol appeared above her head. There was a glowing sickle with sheaves of wheat.

"She's a communist!" Someone yelled.

"No you idiot," A girl said, "that's my mum's symbol, which means it's her mum's..."

"Please welcome Meg McCaffrey, daughter of Demeter." Apollo said.

Chiron quickly dispersed the crowd and we all headed back towards the cabins.

"Ri," Will called, "can I have a word?" I followed him into the Apollo cabin, only to have him hurry out and turn the key. Locking me in.

"Will, what the hell." I slammed my fist to the door.

"We'll let you out in the morning!" Will replied, "We're sleeping elsewhere, you guys clearly need to talk."

I turned around to see Apollo sat on one of the bunks.

"Hi." He said.

Who enjoyed the chapter?
Remember to vote, comment and be amazing!
~Em xx