56- I Am A Cocoon

********

********

I woke up in at the foot of a white cocoon lollipop. My back rested on the wooden post and at the top there was a large silken cocoon.

I tried to move, but my feet and wrists were bound and there was a strong cloth binding wrapped around my chest holding me to the post.

I couldn't see what was on the top of the cocoon, but the bottom had a pair of feet sticking out of it. To my left two more posts had the heads of Austin and Kayla sticking out of the top.

There were three other posts to my right, I could very clearly see the heads of Cecil, Ellis and Miranda.

The floor that I was sat on was littered with all sorts of bones, most animal, some were human. The clearing was hemmed with trees that grew almost on top of each other, branches above were so tangled together that I could hardly see the sky.

Behind the posts were two enormous oak trees, the trees' massive trunks had grown so close together that it almost looked like one tree.

"Crap!" I declared. A massive human figure walked into the clearing, he had blonde hair, he carried an oval shield.

The man came up to me and gave me a toothy grin and then slammed the shield into the side of my head.

********

"It's a gateway," I woke up to the sound voices, "To the Grove of Dodona."

I then realised that I was bound more tightly now, the cloth was now wrapped all around me, covering me from head to toe, binding me to the post even more tightly.

I tried to move, but it was impossible.

"Aren't we in the grove?" I realised it was Meg speaking. That meant...

"No..." Apollo said, "I think this is more of an antechamber. The grove itself is behind those trees."

"I don't hear any voices," Meg said.

'I'm here!' I tried to yell. But it came out as more of a, "Mumph!"

"The grove knows we're here," Apollo said, "It's waiting to see what we'll do."

"We'd better do something then." Meg sounded completely unexcited.

I could hear footsteps crunching on the bones that littered the floor.

"Mumph!" I said again.

"What is that?" Meg's voice was closer now.

"It looks like it's Ri," Apollo said. I felt his hands on my head trying to tear at the fabric, but he couldn't.

"Mumph!" I managed.

"Ri?" Apollo asked.

"Mumph!"

"It's her."

"And that's Austin and Kayla." Meg said.

"We need to free them immediately," Apollo declared.

There was a scuffling sound, as I assumed Apollo tried to free his kids.

"Apollo," Meg squeaked.

"Germani," Apollo hissed. There were lots of sounds of cracking bones.

I assumed that the tall person who had knocked me out was back, and by the sound of it he had brought friends.

"Emperor Nero," Apollo said, "The Beast."

I struggled against my bonds, but they still hardly let me move.

"Nero will do," Nero said, "It's good to see you my honour ancestor."

"It's me you want," Apollo said through clenched teeth, "Let these demigods go, let them leave with Meg. They've done nothing to you."

Nero chuckled, "I'll be happy to, once we've come to an agreement. As for Meg... How are you my dear?"

Meg said nothing.

"Where are my manners?" Nero laughed, "This is my right hand Garius and my left hand Vincius, I normally just call them Gary and Vince."

"They have serpent tattoos," Apollo noted, "like the street thugs you sent after me."

"I have many servants," Nero threw away, "Mikey and Cade's only job was to rattle you a bit, welcome you to my city."

"What do you want Nero?" Meg asked.

"Straight to the point," Nero said, "I've always admired that about you, Meg. Really it's simple. You and Apollo will open the gates of Dodona for me. Then these six will be released."

"There's seven of them," Apollo said.

"Your wife is a different matter." Nero answered. I struggled more at this, my bonds finally began to loosen.

Apollo grit his teeth, "You'll destroy the grove and then kill all of us."

"Not unless you force me to. I'm a reasonable god-emperor Apollo! I'd much rather have the grove of Dodona under my control if it can be managed, but I certainly won't let you control it. You had your chance to be guardian of the oracles. You failed miserably. Now it's my responsibility, mine and my partners." Nero ploughed straight through, "I need you and Meg to open those gates. They've resisted my best efforts, but together you two can do it. Apollo, you have an affinity with oracles. Meg has a way with trees. Get to it. Please and thankyou."

"Why is Ri a different matter?" Apollo demanded.

"Ah," Nero laughed, "she depends on you behaving yourself. Now open the gates."

"We would rather die." Apollo stood his ground, "wouldn't we Meg?"

Meg said nothing, I heard her sniff.

"Meg?" Apollo asked.

"Oh, my." Nero clapped his hands. "It seems we've had a slight miscommunication. You see Apollo, Meg bought you here, just as I asked her to. Well done, my sweet."

"I-I didn't mean..." Meg stuttered.

"Meg," Apollo's voice sounded broken, "No. I can't believe...Meg, this man killed your father! He's a murderer!"

"The Beast killed my father. This is Nero," Meg's voice sounded, almost ashamed, "He's-he's my stepfather."

"That's right, my darling," Nero said, "And you've done a wonderful job. Come to Papa."

Here's another chapter for you all!
Remember to vote, comment and give Venus a read!
~Em xx