72- Hydration

Cai

Cai

Eventually I realised that there was no reasoning with either Nico or Will. The two of them walked away towards the small amount of shade provided by some leafless trees. The sun was hot, but it seemed to bother them a lot more than it bothered me. Will and Nico sat down to rest in the shady patch, and Will pulled out a bottle of water, took a sip and them offered it to Nico.

"Hydration is a strange concept," I wondered aloud.

"Well, it's actually a basic need for human life, but I suppose not being human would mean that it's hard for you to understand," said Will.

"You're not human either," I pointed out, "you're demigods."

Nico gave me an odd look, "yes, which means we understand the concept of death, we have everything to loose. You have nothing."

"My father is mortal, and my mother could die. I have everything to loose too." I met Nico's gaze, and refused to back down from his stare, which I felt was partially accusatory, as if I had done something wrong, "I'm the god of mortality, I understand it, perhaps more than you do Nico DiAngelo."

Will let out a light hearted cough in an attempt to ease the growing tension between myself and his boyfriend.

"You've really got a knack for pissing off immortals," Will told Nico, "it's a good thing that you're dating a doctor, that way I can patch you up when one of them eventually smites you."

"No one will smite you," I assured Nico, "neither Hades, nor myself will allow that."

"Uh, thanks I guess."

Our group fell into silence for a while, as Will fanned himself with his hand, and Nico stared down at his black jeans, clearly regretting his outfit choice.

The day wore on, and both the boys only seemed to become more uncomfortable with the heat, whilst I grew more impatient. I could feel the tree close by, and I wanted nothing else but to go and do everything I could to save it. I was growing more irritated with Will and Nico's insistence that we wait until the heat grew more bearable.

"Right," I got to my feet after a few hours of stewing with my thoughts, "I'm going on a reconnaissance mission. If you would like to join me, you are welcome to. If not, I will be back in a bit."

"Cai, you can't go by yourself!" Will stood up, "just wait a little longer, then when the sun sets we'll all go."

"We can still all go later, but it can't hurt to know what we will be facing can it." I replied stubbornly. "I'll be careful." I promised.

Will had the look of a parent weighing up their options as their child begged to be allowed to go to a friend's house.

"Fine," Will said, "we'll stay here, come right back once you've found the tree."

"Of course I will." I turned and began to walk away from them, into the heat of the burning sun.

"You know he's totally lying," Nico murmured when he thought I was out of earshot.

"Gods he's like his mother isn't he."

Sorry that it's been a while since I updated! But I hope you like the chapter!
Remember to vote, comment and be amazing!
~Em xx