68- The Tree, What Tree?

Cai
I sat on the sofa in the living room listening to the sound of my mum crying. I felt powerless, which was a new feeling for me.

An image flashed across my mind, a tall tree rose above the canopy of a forest. A dark shadow swept across it and several leaves fell out of its branches.

I felt a pain behind my eyes as another leaf fell.

I was shaken out of this vision by a touch on my shoulder.

"Cai are you okay?" Mum asked, her eyes were slightly red and puffy, but apart from that she seemed okay.

"Yeah," I shook myself, "I just- Never mind, are you okay?"

She sniffed, "I'm fine, it's just a lot has happened in the past few days."

"I'm sorry." I put my arm around her shoulders.

"It's not your fault," she assured me, "Sometimes it just feels like the world is against us demigods. Something bad always happens."

I wasn't sure what I could say to this, I hugged her tight. She was shorter than me and rested her chin on my shoulder.

"You're a god right," She mumbled.

I laughed, "Good observation."

"Can you make Apollo a god again?"

"I don't think that's how it works." I confessed, "Zeus probably has my father's immortality locked away somewhere, I don't have it to restore it to him."

"Well it was worth a shot," She laughed slightly.

I grinned and we broke apart, she looked at me, analysing my face.

"You look so much like him," She told me, making me smile slightly, "I can't wait for you to meet him."

"I can't wait to meet him," I agreed, the image of the tree flashed across my mind again, "But right now I think I need to find a tree."

"What?" She frowned.

I jumped to my feet and flashed to Camp Halfblood. Right in front of the big house's porch, where Chiron sat with Will Solace and a dark haired boy who I figured was Nico Di Angelo.

"Caius?" Chiron asked.

"I need to find a tree." I said.

"Cai!" My mum appeared next to me, and put her hand on my shoulder, "what are you doing?"

"There's a tree!" I said again, "I need to find the tree!"

A look of understanding dawned on Chiron's face, "The tree?"

"Yes the tree." I confirmed, "You know of it? Where is it?"

"What tree?" Will Solace asked, looking from me, to Chiron, to my mum.

"The tree of life," said Chiron. "As you have taken the mantle of God of life I would assume the tree of life has become your symbol."

"I need to find it now." I felt more pain behind my eyes, somehow I felt very connected to this tree. I tried to sense it, "I can't find it, why can't I find it!"

"I would imagine it is protected from Godly influence." Chiron mused.

"Cai what's wrong?" Mum asked, frowning, she had seemed to notice that I was in pain.

"I need to save the tree," I said, "Something is attacking it."

"We'll if it's protected from Godly influence then I'll find it!" Mum said, her hand still on my arm.

"No!" I insisted, "I have to go."

"God or not I am afraid I will have to insist you take someone with you," Chiron looked me up and down.

"We'll do it," Nico piped up, "me and Will, three people for a quest."

My mother looked as though she wanted to protest. But I answered before she could say anything. Somehow I knew that I did not want her near that tree.

"Yes," I agreed, "Let's go! Where are we going?"

"The tree is in the White Mountains in California," Chiron told me, "Will, Nico, gather your equipment, it seems you are going on a quest."

Ya girl has entered this in the 20018 wattys!
Remember to vote, comment and be amazing!
~Em xx