32. Three winters ago

The weather was freezing the next day. Liang woke up with a hangover. He felt heavy, like being crushed by a heavy rock. He could hear powerful snores next to him. He opened his eyes to find Daniel's half weight on him.

He and Daniel got drunk the night before they sang songs like crazy before passing out on the floor. It was good that the mansion was heated or else they would have been turned into a block of ice by now.

Daniel snored like a bear in hibernation. Liang pushed him away and he rolled on the floor like a meatball. But he still didn't budge and continued snoring even louder.

"If you can teach some decency to my husband, I would be very grateful." Silver was standing at the door with her arms crossed. There was an expression 'I am used to his snoring' on her face.

Liang smiled, "I wanted to speak with you. Are you free today?"

"Took you years to come and find me. I thought you would come earlier." She winked.

Liang's eyes opened wide. He stared at the bear next to him, then chuckled, "He told you I had feelings for Dong Fu?...... He broke his promise. Then shall we discuss over coffee and cookies?"

Merlene smiled, "Let's take a walk instead, I'll be waiting downstairs. Be quick." She walked inside and kicked her husband before leaving. The bear grumbled something, but didn't wake up. Liang took a nearby marker and drew drawings on the other person's face.

He rinsed his mouth and changed his clothes before going downstairs. The maid informed him, that Merlene was in the backyard at the stables. He thanked her and walked to the backyard. Anderson's mansion was not that big, but they had a huge land stretched far away. He went to the stables and found Silver brushing the fur coat of a horse. She kept the brush aside and let him out.

"Are we taking it with us?" Liang asked.

"Yes, she was a gift from Dong Fu. She was rescued while she was being taken to the slaughterhouse. I take her out once in a while in the meadow pasture nearby, just for a change." She beamed.

"Won't we need two horses, then?" Liang suggested.

She laughed, "Of course not, I need a hot walker." She looked at the other person and blinked.

She rode on the horse while Liang walked beside her. They were a little further away from the estate. The meadow was covered in snow. They were quiet for a while before Liang broke the silence. "Do you miss him?"

"I do... everyday. He was a good man, helped anyone he thought was in trouble. Like my baby here." She patted the horse. She continued speaking, "my mom used to tell me that God always takes good people to heaven early because they are angels who have descended on earth. After he passed away, I stopped going to the church. You saw him at most of our functions, but you never uttered a word to him. Why?"

Liang didn't answer. Silver saw the look in his eyes. There was a trace of guilt in them. She sighed, "What you want to know?"

"Everything you can tell me. Whatever we speak, is going to remain between us. I promise not to tell anyone and hope you won't tell anyone about this conversation either." Liang stated.

Silver nodded and looked at the sky trying to recollect her past, "I met him twelve years ago at a local charity function in London. He was volunteering there. He was handsome, and I was single so I followed him. He and his friend entered a nearby bar. When I followed them inside, everyone stared at me like I was a unicorn. Then I realized it was a gay bar, my dreams came crashing then and there." There was a faint smile on her face while she spoke.

"That didn't make me give up. I wanted to get to know him. I volunteered at the same place as him and eventually, we became friends. At first, I thought he and Sam were a couple. Later I found out he was his agent, Dong Fu was a model and a retired actor."