53. Disappeared

AN: Holiday special chapter. Also, today on 23-12-2019, RoR has completed one month on Wattpad. Enjoy reading this chapter. We have 7000 reads... Hip hip hurraaaay....

___________________

Detective Duan was sitting in the captain's office. Earlier that day, detective Duan had informed him, the type of weapon used to disassemble the body into different parts. "How many people know about the weapon." Ma Yo asked him.

"The doctor told me what kind of weapon was used. I traced it according to the details. Right now besides me, nobody else knows." He said.

"Good, make sure lieutenant Peng doesn't find out. I can't believe he used your phone to let the information out." Ma Yo frowned. Peng had worked by his side for many years. Su Zhan was right, he trusts friends very easily.

Duan handed him a photograph of the weapon. Ma Yo looked at it and raised his brows, "They used a chainsaw?" The other person nodded. "Find if anyone related to the victims owns any."

"I already did, captain. The chief of police has a niece, whose husband has a small furniture factory. I went to the factory early morning. A worker told me that a month ago, a chainsaw was broken and they sent it to the repair shop. After a few days they contacted the shop to follow up on it. But they were informed that they never received it in the first place."

He handed the captain another photo, "This man was the one who handled the machine. He used to work at the chief's house before, as a cleaner. But his niece ran short of hands, so he sent him at their factory."

"I brought the man in for the questioning. On the day he was supposed to drop the machine for repairs, he received a phone call from the chief's house. He went to the chief's house first and decided to drop the machine after that."

"He kept the chainsaw outside on the porch and knocked on the door. The head servant knew him and invited him inside the house. When he asked her what she needed help with, she told him she never called."

"When he left the house the chainsaw was missing. He asked others in the house. They checked the CCTV but it was broken, so they didn't know who took it."

"The chief and his wife were out of town during that time.

The servant told the cleaner not to worry and that she will talk to the Chief and let his niece know about it."

"I checked his phone records to see if he received a call from the chief's house and he did. I spoke to the chief's head servant and the rest of the story checks out. The head servant is a woman in her early sixties and has no family. She is old and has no motive."

"The doctor also said that that the body was disassembled after they died. The cause of death was poison."

Ma Yo smirked, "This is stupid, why cut them into pieces after killing them? The killer wanted us to trace the chainsaw to the chief or did they make a stupid mistake? Keeping that aside, I want you to inform the doctor to complete his report. Then apply for a search warrant for every property that the chief holds in his name."

"But captain... Its... He is the chief." Duan was reluctant.

"So? We could be wrong. Here we are thinking he has been kidnapped, unknown to us, he could have crossed the oceans after committing the crime. Besides its a weapon missing, if more people die in the future, that would bite our asses. Better to fix things when it can be determined."

Duan sighed and walked out of the cabin. He was sure he would be fired after this.

Lieutenant Peng walked in after Duan left. "Any trouble captain?" He inquired. Ma Yo only shook his head and got back to work. Through the glass partition, he saw Peng sending a text. He immediately called the detective Duan. "Peng texted someone, I want to know who."