88. Some things in common

As the music ended, blondie excused herself to go to the bathroom. Dong Fu walked to the bar ordering himself a scotch. His eyes glanced at the crowd, locating the pair who was waiting for the music to play again. A man approached him respectfully, "Mr. Tanata would like to have a word with you."

Dong Fu smiled in acknowledgment, "Lead the way."

The younger followed the man dressed in a gray suit, wearing silver rim glasses. He didn't look like a bodyguard, but rather an assistant. They left the enormous hall where the party was held, walking along the passages. They climbed the luxury staircase making their way to the first floor. Dong Fu kept pressing the button on his wristwatch, attempting to send a message that he could be in trouble. But for some reason, the signal was jammed.

Though Dong Fu's internal organs were sweating, he could only maintain a cool demeanor on the outside. The assistant guided Dong Fu towards a huge door. "Mr. Tanata will join you shortly."

Dong Fu stepped inside the study, being baffled at the interior. It was more of a gallery exhibition than a meeting place for strangers or associates. Some people loved to project their wealth to the public. Though he had seen many of the similar pieces earlier, what caught his attention was a canvass hanging on the wall. The portrait of a woman hung itself in a lonely room, making it feel more empty. "Beautiful, isn't it?"

Dong Fu turned to the man identified as his uncle, "It is Mr. Tanata."

The elderly man smiled, the wrinkles on his forehead creased as he asked Dong Fu to take a seat, "The woman in the portrait was my wife's best friend." The man limped as he walked to sit on the couch.

"I see," Dong Fu didn't ask further questions, even though he was very curious about the woman. The butler served tea to the guest as well as his boss. "Your mansion is quite mystical. I love your art collection."

Mr. Tanata smiled, "Aren't you a sweet talker, Mr. Feng. Though we haven't met before, I have heard stories about you. If you like something from my collection, please don't hesitate to ask. I would love to gift it to you. Well, of course, other than the woman's portrait."

"It seems to be of important significance to you." Dong Fu spoke.

"Yes, it was my brother who drew it. Though we didn't share blood ties, we were close. He was someone I adored and trusted. That's the only picture left of her, I burnt everything else. I was young and immature back then, couldn't deal with betrayal very well." The elderly man replied as he passed his cane to the butler.

Dong Fu smiled as he tasted the tea served to him. "She must have been special to anger you till you destroyed her every picture."

The man laughed, "Oh, I burnt everything that belonged to her, her pictures, her things including her beloved husband. She was special, she was my family as well as someone who stabbed me in the back." He touched his knee as a habit. "It's difficult to trust anyone in today's world."

Dong Fu nodded, "It seems we have certain things in common."

"My wife's nephew has been causing any trouble for you?" He asked.

Dong Fu raised his eyebrows, pretending not understanding as to what the man was saying, "I am sorry, your wife's nephew?"

The old man replied, "Zhang, they all call him by a western name 'Sam'. I think it becomes easier for people to pronounce it, especially when he travels around the world for business reasons. Does he give you any trouble?"