44. Cheating wives

Captain Ma Yo reached detective Yan's house. The house was surrounded by reporters trying to get a piece of news. The officers had placed a crime scene tape around the house to restrict the unauthorized entry, restricting everyone to keep out of the crime scene.

The moment Ma Yo stepped out of the car, he was surrounded by the media. He ignored all the questions and walked to the crime scene.

The forensic team was already there, collecting the evidence. A man with a camera was recording the crime scene and the rest of his team were questioning people. An officer at the door handed the captain gloves and disposable shoe covers for him to wear.

Ma Yo observed the interior of the house in astonishment. He was quite surprised looking at the expensive decorations in the house. He walked into the bedroom where the body was. One of the officers was throwing up in a bucket nearby. As for him, Ma Yo had gotten used to it.

The coroner was speaking with the medical examiner who had performed the autopsy on the previous victims of the psycho killer.

Captain Ma Yo walked to them, "Anything new for me, doctor?"

"I could say that." The doctor led the captain to the body. "Observe anything different?"

Captain Ma Yo looked at the dead body. The skinless bloody corpse was lying lifeless and in a total mess. Besides the face, there was nothing to see which wasn't covered in red. Ma Yo turned his gaze away and said, "No."

The doctor smiled and said, "I have seen the photos of the previous crime scene. The blood was evenly distributed around the body. But if you take a look at this.."

Captain Ma Yo narrowed his eyes and completed the sentence, "The blood flow is major near the lower body."

"Exactly... Here, let me show you something." The doctor moved the body's legs apart. Ma Yo didn't bother to see, but he heard the sticky sound made by the doctor's action. He saw the coroner's face go green and curse the M. E.

"Look here, you can see a knife wound located in the inner thighs. Your victim's artery was cut first, leaving him to die, only then they pulled all his skin apart." He moved his hands to some parts of the body. "These are knife wounds that the killer used to pare the skin. Like before you peel an orange,  you make a small cut with a knife first or at least poke at it. There are a total of 79 such wounds, whereas your previous victims had within ten."

Captain Ma Yo would never eat oranges again in his life. "Are you saying that the killer was in a rush and at the same time wanted detective Yan to be less miserable?" Ma Yo asked.

"No, what I am saying is... someone, imitated the original killer. But this is not enough to prove it. I will do some additional tests and find evidence. Thought the method is the same, this killer was immature. If we are lucky, we can find something." The doctor replied.

"Other than butchers, can a doctor be an expert to do something like the original killer did?" Ma Yo asked.

The doctor was confused at first but then answered, "I guess so... I don't think a normal person would be able to stand the sight of a body without skin. Over years of practice, doctors get used to cutting bodies open for surgeries. It's very difficult to put a knife on a patient's body when you know he or she is breathing. But that is what we do to save lives, not to end them." He spoke like he was talking about slicing a cake.

Captain Ma Yo thanked the doctor and moved towards his subordinate. "Lieutenant Peng, tell me something that would make my day better?" Lieutenant Peng had worked under him for more than five years and they were good friends.

Lieutenant Peng nodded, "The entire house is automated, every furniture and equipment is of top brand. We should thank the government for paying us an attractive salary." He spoke sarcastically.