{25} Halloween disaster

First we're going to egg Hannah's house then we're going come back to mine so I can get ready for the party. Well that was what was supposed to happen..

Carter was supposed to pick me up in 20 minutes so I was just lounging around the house until I heard a knock on the door. My mum wasn't home so I had to go open the door. I assumed it was Carter and he was just early so I opened the door. What I was not expecting was to see a creepy guy at the door holding a letter. He old with a scraggly, long beard accompanied by a toothless grin. Though there was nothing friendly looking about his grin, it seemed more menacing than anything. I mean who was I to judge his appearance but he gave me a weird vibe and who delivers mail this late.  

"Are you Scarlett?" The man asked in a scratchy voice.

I was going to lie and say no but it looked like he already knew who I was even though I had never seen him in my life. I blocked most of my body with the door, keeping my defences up as I wearily said, "Yes." 

"Perfect. He wanted it hand given," he said handing me a letter. Before I could question who he was the man was gone. I had nothing else to do than watch tele as I waited for Carter so I decided to open the letter. That turned out to be the biggest mistake I've ever made.

To Evie,

I've been watching you ever since you moved to America. I can't say I'm too happy about Aubrey and you moving across the world. Don't worry she'll get her punishment later. 

I was waiting for a perfect time to come see you. I get released soon. I've missed you, have you missed me? Why didn't you visit me? I'm coming back and we are all going to be a family again. Don't think about going anywhere because I have eyes everywhere. Don't tell your mum I'm coming back, I want it to be surprise. 

From,

              Your favourite parent X

My hair stood on end, body going rigid as a shiver raced down my spine and a lump came to my throat just thinking about him. There was only one person who called me Evie. My father. The person who ruined my life. Once I had finally reeled in the shock from receiving this letter I immediately tried to deny it. If I could pretend it's fake then I wouldn't have to face my problems. Except there was no way this could be fake. Only a handful of people knew what happened and as much as I wanted to ignore it, I knew this was something the sick bastard would do. 

My thoughts shattered the silence as the tears that I tried so hard to hold in started to fall, one by one. Until eventually all my tears blended together, streaming down my face. I didn't bother to wipe my tears as new ones would just replace them. I was a mess. He's only person who could elicit this reaction from me. I hardly ever cry, it has probably been years since the last time I cried but he was the only person who makes me this weak.

A knock broke me out of my thought process, which was soon going to turn into a self deprecating spiral. As much as I didn't want to answer the door, the person knocking was very persistent so I knew they wouldn't stop if I didn't answer. Pulling myself up, wiping my tears on my sleeves, I slammed open the door to reveal Carter. I completely forgot he was coming.

"Look now's not a good time. So just go without me, yeah?" I tried to say in a strong voice although it wavered in the middle.

"Woah. What's happened?"

"Nothing," I said sniffling slightly, hoping he didn't catch on.

"What's wrong?"

"Like I said nothing," I said chuckling, trying to hold in my tears that were desperately trying to escape as my foot tapped against the laminate anxiously.

"That's it I'm coming in," He said pushing me aside as he closed the door before dragging me into the living room. 

"Red," He said sternly as he grabbed my jaw and tilted my head upwards while I tried to avoid eye contact. But once our eyes connected I couldn't hold it in. I turned my head away as my body shook with silent sobs. 

"Red your freaking me out. I've never seen you cry. What's wrong?" 

I tried to speak but it was just coming out as blabbers and incoherent words. He sat on the sofa before dragging my onto it, my legs laying across his. He soothingly rubbed my back as my sobs grew louder.

I just couldn't believe this was happening. He was back. Am I supposed to tell my mum? What if it ends up like last time? I have to tell Ella at least.

He rocked us back and forth until my sobs quieted down, leaving silent tears streaming down my face. 

"Do you wanna tell me what's got you in such a state?" 

I cocked my head to the side, staring at him as I thought my decision over. I didn't know whether I could trust him with this but I needed to tell someone or else I would explode. Plus he didn't laugh in my face when he saw me cry so that should be a good sign. I took a deep breath, trying to build my courage before quietly asking, "Where do I start?"

"Is this a long story?"

"Yeah. You can leave if you want. Go egg Hannah's house. You don't have to sit here and pity me."

"Don't be ridiculous of course I'm going to stay. And it's not pity, I need to make sure your okay." He stressed the word 'need' as he pushed my head into his chest before wrapping his arms around me, embracing me. As we hugged I felt my nerves about telling my story dissipate. It's Carter and he cares. That's all that matters. 

"I'll start from the beginning then," I said clearing my throat before jumping into the tale that is my life.