{38} Unrequited

"Hiya," I said once the door swung open.

"What's wrong?" Ella said instantly knowing something was wrong with me, like the mind reader she is. 

"Nothing."

"We are going to act like you didn't just lie to me." She gave me a pointed look before pulling me into a bear hug. 

"I missed you," I mumbled into her shoulder, tightening my arms around her.

"I missed you too peach. Wanna talk about what's going on with you?" She soothingly stroked my hair as I leaned into her touch. An easy smile touched my lips when I heard her call me 'peach'. It'd been too long since we had an actual sit-down conversation.

"I want to avoid my issues at all costs so no." She sighed at my reluctance. Normally I was like an open book with Ella but the whole Killian thing was something I was not willing to share with any of my family. Ella was always fussing over us kids so I understood her frustration.

"Well Eli's upstairs off you go kid."

"Trying to get rid of me so fast?" I teased. "I actually came here too see you. I haven't seen you in ages so I though I'd pop in."

"Aw your too sweet," she beamed, bringing me into another hug; not that I was complaining.

"So how have you been? How are you and Carson?" I waggled my eyebrows as a light pink tinted her cheeks. 

"I've been good just a bit busy with work. And if you must know me and Carson are doing good."

"Just good?"

"Okay so he's fantastic. I mean fantastic isn't even the word to describe him he's just... indescribable. I really like him, like really really like him. But I'm sure you don't want to hear me talk about all of that. I heard you two get on quite well. Is that true?" She squealed out like a teenage girl. I couldn't tell whether I wanted to be sick or coo over the twinkle eyed look she had when she talk about Carson.

"Yep. He's a good lad." In fact he was better than good.

 I always had a certain amount of respect for Carson. But now I looked at Carson in a different light, so to speak. After hearing about his childhood an overwhelming sense of respect washed over me.

 He is a 30 year old raising 3 teenagers and he was doing a hell of a great job if I do say so myself. I could only assume Al's and Danny's family lives weren't the best, it would explain their living situation. He reminded me of Dave from Alvin and the chipmunks. The boys are a cheeky lot yet he's still looking after them so for that I admire him.

If there was one person good enough for my Ella then it would be Carson.

 "What's for tea?" I leaned over the kitchen island to see what she was making.

"I'm doing a roast. Are you staying over?"

"I'll stay for dinner but I'll have to see what Eli's plans are. He might be busy with Penelope. Has he told you about Penelope?" 

"Yes he has and I'm so proud of you for making friends especially a girl."

I shook my head with a smirk. "She's not my friend she's Eli's. His special friend."

"I can't believe he didn't tell me."

"I don't think he's told my mum either. That little fuck-fudger." I corrected myself after seeing the look Ella gave me. Swearing is a big no no in her books. Probably why Eli swears so much when he's round mine. She knows we all have sailors mouths but doesn't like hearing it in front of her. So as long as we don't swear around her we're good. "Although speaking of friends. You'll be happy to know I've made three."