13 | innocent or guilty?

SEASON TWO,
CHAPTER 13:

INNOCENT OR GUILTY?

"He's got all of you fooled

"He's got all of you fooled."

✦ ·  ·  ·  · ──────────── ·  ·  ·  · ✦

A COURTROOM IS a hall in which courts of law are held in front of a judge. Members of the public are able to sit down and watch as someone that's been arrested is announced guilty with the sentence that they will serve. Civilians are able to have their own input on the outcome as it's their personal opinion, which can sometimes conflict against the judge's views.

Currently, on the island of Outer Banks, people are seated inside of a courtroom as they listen to what a teenage boy has convicted. John B is standing at the very front of the room with an orange jumpsuit on, a purple bruise resting on his eye after he received a punch from one of the deputies when being arrested. He does nothing apart from remain silent, listening to what the judge has to say. JB can't plead innocent because no one believes that it wasn't him and only chooses to take the word of a Kook.

Delilah can be found sitting amongst the crowd that have turned up to watch the moment that they've all been waiting for. JJ and Pope are seated either side of her, wheres Kie and Sarah are in the row in front of the three. JJ's hand is intertwined with Delilah's as it's stretched over to rest in her lap. His thumb is gently brushing against the smooth skin on the back of the girls hand, trying to provide some reassurance after catching sight of her leg nervously bouncing up and down on the spot.

"John Booker Routledge, pursuant to the North Carolina statute section 14." Judge Johnson begins, voice filling the room. "You are charged with murder in the first degree with aggravated circumstances. If convinced, the maximum sentence would be the death penalty."

The gavel is stuck and loud murmurs immediately break out amongst the crowd, their own opinions being shared to one another. The teenagers that are friends with John B just glance around the room as a mixture of emotions swirl around in the stomachs; anger that he's being framed, sadness that he may face death, frustration that no one believes their side of the story (the truth), and betrayal that the system is against them.

"Death penalty?" Delilah repeats in disbelief, voice raised. "What kind of cruel joke is this?"

"Your Honor, he's 17!" JJ reminds.

"JJ, stop." Pope warns.

"John B!" Sarah shouts.

With tears blurring her vision, the blonde girl pushes her way through the crowd in a desperate attempt to make her way over to John B. All she wants to do is hold her boyfriend and ensure him that everything will be okay, that they'll figure it all out together. But the deputies just guide John B out of the room and away from the public. A tight grip is held onto the young boy to make sure that he doesn't try to escape.