27 | the special cross

SEASON TWO,
CHAPTER 27:

THE SPECIAL CROSS

"You did it, Pope

"You did it, Pope."

✦ ·  ·  ·  · ──────────── ·  ·  ·  · ✦

ONCE THE TEENAGERS managed to come together to pull the campervan out of the murky water and away from the alligators, they finally set off. The drive on the road is rough due to the fact that the mechanics of the vehicle has become slightly after sitting in the water for nearly an hour. While they're driving, the wound resting on John B's leg is being tended to in order to ensure that it won't get infected and so that the amount of blood loss can be controlled.

Eventually, the Pogues arrive at the location that all of them have been meaning to go to ever since Pope figured out that the church will have the cross. Each one of them climb out of the vehicles and make their way inside of the building to see that it's completely abandoned, untouched from civilisation. Ivy's grown up the rusted wooden walls, as well as specks of dust being scattered onto the broken pieces of furniture.

"This is where the cross is hidden?" JJ questions in disbelief. "Are you sure?"

"I'm sure." Pope replies with a nod. "It's got to be here somewhere."

"What if we have to push a secret button or play a certain chord, and then, all of a sudden, the ground beneath us reveals the catacombs or something on which we stand?" JJ rambles.

"It's not an escape room." Kie reminds, bluntly.

"How about we try to find more obvious clues instead?" John B suggests.

Spreading out, they all search around the inside of the church in a desperate attempt to find the cross because it's the only reason as to why they're there. Pope appears to be becoming more stressed as each minute passes by, afraid of losing hope. But nothing to do with the cross can be found, nor does anything look suspicious enough to give them a possible hint.

"There's no way he would set us up on a freaking goose chase that would lead us to a church that has nothing in it!" Pope exclaims.

"I get!" John B replies. "I don't know what to tell you, man."

"The clues led us here." Pope states, still feeling confident. "The cross is in this church."

"It'll be okay. We've had setbacks in the past, and we figure it. We're gonna find it." John B tells him.

A sigh slips past Pope's lips as he grows unsure of what to do now. Fingers fumble with the spyglass as he then pulls it open and lifting it up to his eye, just trying to see if they've somehow missed something. However, as the boy looks up at the ceiling, his face falls and the spyglass is slowly lowered so that he's able to view it from a normal perspective. This grabs the five's attention and causes their gazes to shift up as well, trying to get a better understanding of what their friend is currently staring at.