16 | scrapyard

SEASON ONE,
CHAPTER 16:

SCRAPYARD

"The dog chased him

"The dog chased him."

✦ ·  ·  ·  · ──────────── ·  ·  ·  · ✦

AFTER THE TRIP to the hotel, the Pogues had clambered back into the campervan once again before driving towards the salvage yard. The aim is to retrieve the drone that JJ was previously talking about, needing this in order to go forward with trying to find the Royal Merchant. The plan that's been made is for the two girls to distract the security guard by saying that they have flat tires that need pumping, while the boys use this to their advantage and sneak into the yard in search for the drone — Pope, however, is still unsure of the whole idea.

"Pope, we're not going to steal the drone. We're borrowing it." John B tells him.

"Humans are the only animal that can't tell fantasy from reality." Pope quotes.

"Did you come up with that?" John B asks.

"No, Albert Bernstein came up with that, but it applies to this whole treasure-hunting thing." Pope replies.

"Einstein." Delilah corrects.

"No, Bernstein." Pope repeats.

"Who the fuck is that?" Delilah asks.

"An author." Pope replies. "I haven't seen you read a book in the time that I've known you, so I'm not surprised you don't know."

Delilah's jaw drops at his comment, not expecting that to come out of his mouth. She reaches over the seat and slaps him around he back of the head as payback before returning to her seat beside JJ.

"Anyway, the treasure-hunting thing is exciting. It's like we're living out a real adventure movie or something." Delilah tells them. "Whether it's fantasy or reality."

"Okay, but which is it? Fantasy or reality?" Pope questions.

Kie pauses. "It's fantasy, but possibly reality."

"Reality." John B confidently replies.

"Virtual reality." JJ says, deciding to combine the two and act smart about it.

The blond proceeds to place the joint, which he just rolled, between his lips while he holds a lighter to the end of it so that he can smoke. Pope notices this and reaches over the top of Delilah's body, snatching the joint from JJ's hands before it can be lit. He then throws it down onto the floor where it rolls away from all of them and to the very back. Both the boy and the girl spin around to look at Pope, slightly angered that he just wasted a joint like that.