11 | sad stories

SEASON ONE,
CHAPTER 11:

SAD STORIES

"Hey, it's okay, gorgeous

"Hey, it's okay, gorgeous."

✦ ·  ·  ·  · ──────────── ·  ·  ·  · ✦

THE FIVE DIDN'T leave John B's house that long ago, currently finding themselves seated within the campervan. The long haired boy is driving them along the narrow roads as his friends lounge around in the seats surrounding him. Delilah is the person with the compass in her hands, head resting against JJ's shoulder as he plays with her ginger hair.

"I mean, it's obvious, right? A family heirloom? What better place to hide a message? He had to have known it was gonna get back to me, right?" John B questions, beginning to ramble his thoughts to them.

"Y- Yeah." Kie replies, stammering as she awkwardly goes along with his hope. "Yeah, it's possible."

"It could also be possible that you're concocting theories to help deal with your sad feels." Pope suggests, doing the opposite of what the girl did.

"Bro, you know how I process my sad feels?" JJ rhetorically asks. "Dank nugs and the stickiest of ickies. That's how I do it."

A grin spreads across Delilah's face. Her hand curls into a ball to which she lifts up into the air, allowing JJ to fist bump her. A grin is also visible on his face.

"Look, guys, I'm not concocting, okay? My dad's trying to give me a message." John B insists.

Kie sighs. "If it helps you believe, John B."

"I don't need a therapy session, okay? I'm not tripping out." John B fires back.

"It's okay to trip, bro, but—" JJ begins.

"My dad is missing, okay? Missing." John B tells them, interrupting the blond. "You don't know what it's like to have the person closest to you vanish and then have no idea what happened. Just wake up every morning wondering."

"You're right, I don't know what it's like to lose someone in the way you did. But I remember when my dad first left and I had no idea until I heard my mom yelling at him down the phone. In the beginning, I had blamed myself. I thought maybe I wasn't a good enough child for him." Delilah rants, tears glossing over her green eyes. "And my mom? My mom couldn't care any less about me. She doesn't want to even look at me because I'm a constant remind of him."

A silence falls over the friends as they simply listen to the redhead spill out her sad story about why her parents don't love her like they should. It's rare to see Delilah on the brink of tears and releasing her emotions like this. Which is why they're letting her say all this and ramble, instead of leaving it bottled up and have it potentially get worse.