19 | two funerals

SEASON THREE,
CHAPTER 19:

TWO FUNERALS

"I'll see you at home, kid

"I'll see you at home, kid."

✦ ·  ·  ·  · ──────────── ·  ·  ·  · ✦

THE JOURNEY BACK down the mountain took longer than the group had hoped. The group tried to be quick so that they could get Big John help as soon as possible, but it was a struggle to do so because he has been getting weaker from blood loss; even with his arms slung around John B and Pope's shoulders, Big John could barely keep himself steady.

Nevertheless, the teens work together to make their way down to the river where they then help carefully place Big John into the small boat. Delilah slips the straps of her backpack off of her shoulders, placing it under his head so that he can rest comfortably. After doing so, she is quick to copy her friends and climb into the boat where Pope starts the engine, allowing them all to set sail across the murky water in order to find help before it's too late.

"Let me know if it gets uncomfortable and I'll adjust the backpack for you." Delilah tells him.

"I- It's okay." Big John weakly assures.

Desperately, Sarah applies as much pressure as she can to Big John's gunshot wound, hoping to control the bleeding and give them all enough time to find a doctor. But Delilah noticed the way that the man's breathing pattern has become more irregular as time passes; his chest rises up and down as he attempts to suck more air into his lungs, but, unfortunately, his breaths are only shallow because he is struggling to stay awake and hold on.

John B, on the other hand, is clinging onto the hope that his dad will be okay and will make it home alive. He sits down next to where Big John lays, refusing to even step five inches away. John B needs his father to know that he's always going to be there for him; family (blood or not) will forever look out for each other and be there when the other needs a shoulder to cry on.

"Dad, stay awake." John B pleads. "Hang in there, okay? We're going home."

"We did it together, my boy." Big John whispers.

"Yeah." John B quietly replies with a smile on his face. "Yeah, we did, Dad."

"Bird... Hey, hey, Bird..." Big John breathlessly says, taking his sons hand. "Sarah?"

"I'm here." Sarah softly reassures.

"Bird, you need to hang onto this one." Big John tells his son while he smiles at the blonde girl. "Don't let her go, okay?"