CHAPTER 1 : CANDY

" Happy birthday Candy! " Cassandra yelled as she raises her wine glass. She was standing in the platform at the front and she just finished her long long long speech.

     " Thank you Cass, for being here. " I smiled happily and while giving her a genuine smile of gratefulness. She was like my sister. Even though we have different parents, and without even both not knowing who they were, we helped each other since the day we met when we were 7 years old. Back when we were both imprisoned and being treated like experimental subjects, I found a sister whom I could trust and call help if I needed to.

     " Did Chase said he'll come? " she asked as we walked down the stage together.  I was busy looking down the stairs and assisting her to come down. We were both in heels, and the last thing that I wanted to happen would be rolling down the stairs at my own birthday party.

     " He said he would come later. With Casel. "

     We got down from the stage and that is when I faced Cassandra and gave her a smile while thinking about our cute baby brother arriving later to introduce his girlfriend to us.

     I know Casel. She was one of the kids that was put into the lab almost ten years after us. We were both 23 back then when we met the 12 year old Chase who was in tears as they were entering the main hall, the place were all new experimental subjects were presented every year.

     I remember how hard it was for us to take care of Chase as we did not have any experience nor knowledge of taking care of a person especially unlike us girls, a boy.

     Casel arrived at the lab one year after Chase did. She was the scrawny little girl who was 11 years old with black hair and black eyes. I remember her because she was one of those kids who were punished a lot. Kids that are weak in talents and brains and slow on learning even after being injected with different liquids (they said that would enhance people's knowledge), are often punished or tortured. I did not want to come back at the torture hall after experiencing it once, that's why I learned fast, or I forced myself to learn fast. Music, Dance, Cooking, Singing, Knowledge in Math, English , Science, and everything I could laid my hands into, or anything they want me to do, I forced myself to learn everything FAST. That I was picked as one of the kids that are going to be the final proof that the medicine they are creating are effective, SUPER EFFECTIVE not knowing that it was because of fear that makes us surpassed our limit.

     Casel was one of those kids who are slow and think very negatively, that their performance only worsen as the time goes by rather than it improves. And the people that snatched us from different streets and kidnapped us, could not let Casel free even though they are useless, because that would put their actions in trouble if someone were to know what happen.

     I know Casel. But we never formally introduce ourselves even after the lab was discovered by the authorities and the medicine was handed to the government. We just took glances to each other on the lab and I never even met her when we were rescued. And after almost 3 years of being outside the lab, trying to live a normal life, Chase told us he has a girlfriend. And it was Casel. We were happy, both I and Cassandra for knowing that our younger brother is now making a big step in recovery by commiting on a relationship.

     " I'm here~ !! Noona ! "

     We turned our heads to see the man holding a big bouquet of flowers and a big teddy bear on the side while smiling like he won the lottery.

     " For you~ "

     He handed me both the bouquet and the bear and kissed my cheeks then hugged me so tight I almost could not breath.

     " Heyy.. I'm here too, why are you making me feel like I was not here at all "

     Cassandra complained and crossed her arms. Me and Chase stared at each others eye before laughing then both hugged Cassandra. We laughed as we pat Chase's head like we always used to do.

     " Oh? By the way, where is Casel ? Were you not with her ? "

     Chase smiled widely with sparkles on his eyes before scanning the room and pointed at the side where Casel is standing.

     That was the last smile I saw that day after I saw Casel pulling the trigger of the gun she pointed at us.

     It was a matter of seconds before I felt my body being numb. My heart is beating so fast but not as fast as when I moved to cover both Cassandra and Chase from the bullet.

     I fell and dropped on the floor. With blood gushing from my right chest. I saw Chase's face crying while yelling at me to not close my eyes and Cassandra who was pale while looking at me with tears rushed to fall from her face.

     My eyes were heavy like they are rocks on top of it, it wanted to be closed.

     Chase carried me as he ran fast to the door while crying and begging me to not close my eyes. My tears soon fall. It hurts. It hurts so much more than the torture I experienced years ago, I cried. And the last thing I saw was the decoration on the stage with the big number balloons '35'.

     It was too early to die. But I had experienced a lot to say it was nonsense. But still, dying at 35, when I was supposed to witness my younger brother marry and have nieces and watch him take care of his own family like how hard we took care of him, was such a shame.