CHAPTER 12 : LADY IN THE MARKET

The twins got out of the carriage and while Dianna stormed straight to the dress store, Devaine did not even reach out for the hand of one of her twin brothers who were about to assist her and instead went down on the carriage with the help of her personal maid for today, Lena.

     Dianna clearly made everyone know that she does not want to shop clothes with Devaine and the latter does not want to either.

     It was early in the morning and the children of the Duke of Corzen needed to find clothes to wear to the birthday banquet of the second princess tonight.

     " My lady, I suggest you try the peaches in the market nearby. Uncle Mac said to let you try those then buy some if you liked the taste and they'd make you a pie. "

     Devaine nodded to what Lena said. Her mother appointed Lena as her companion maid yesterday just before she told her to shop with Dianna. Her mother actually wanted to appoint at least five maids for her because her sister has seven but Devaine does not want to have that many. She told her mother to not appoint a specific maid and let them rotate in serving her before she makes a decision on who to choose. 

     " Do you frequent here Lena? "

     Devaine asks as Lena guides her towards the pathway leading to the market and almost in every corner, someone recognizes Lena and greets her.

     Lena smiled to her lady.

     " Our house was not far from here my lady. And when I was still not working at the duke's mansion, I shop here every two days for fresh meat and vegetables for my mom to cook. Until my mom passed away two years ago which then I need to search for work to feed the family. "

     Lena explained while smiling as she remembers the days she frequents this market.

     Devaine felt sympathy for Lena. She may have not work for money to take care of her family, she also struggled to raise Chase when she was still 'Candy'.

     Once they reach the market, they were welcomed with mixed aroma of fruits, dry good, fish and everything.

     Devaine did not mind the smell though. It smells freedom for her.

     " Oh! Lena ! It's been so long! I have asked your sibling about you but they have told me you are now working at Duke Caseilfed "

     The lady with big physique greeted Lena as soon as she saw her walking inside the market. That's when she noticed the petite girl on a hat that Lena was assisting. She is wearing a simple mint green flowy dress with simple accessories like a simple stud earrings and a small diamond necklace.

     Very simple yet just by how she carries herself, the vendor lady knew exactly that that girl is a noble.

     " Oh. Who could be this lady? "

     The store lady ask Lena as they reach her fruit stand. She was selling berries. A lot of them.

     " This is my Lady, Miss Devaine Corzen. The second lady of the Duke of Corzen. "

     Lena proudly introduced Devaine to the vendor lady with her nose almost reach the roof as she had her chin up so bad.

     The lady was shock as she heard who it was. And Devaine was not surprised as she knew her image was on the rock bottom and everyone knows her as the troublemaker daughter of the house of Corzen.

     Yea. She should get used to it by now.

     " My! Such pretty eyes! It's as red as a berry! "

     Lena giggled as the vendor exclaimed. She knew Mrs. Joce would never mind those rumors and would believe the things she saw herself. That was why she was so excited to introduce the lady to her.

     " Right? Hihi. She gained weight now after eating a lot of pies made by these berries that you sell. "

     The lady smiled widely that her eyes were nowhere to be seen as she heard what Lena said. So this is the lady that grumpy Mac is worried about.

     " It's nice meeting you My Lady. I am a friend of the head chef on your house, you might knew him. Mac. "

     Devaine's poker face lightened up as she heard a familiar face. She flashed a smile which made her eyes glint in happiness as she greets the vendor back.

     " My. You should smile more. Such a pretty pretty lady. My name's Joce, I'll be sure to send a lot of good berries for Mac to use. "

     Joce gave a big hearty laugh as she reached for a big strawberry the size of a half palm and wipe it with a clean cloth before giving it to Devaine.

     " Want a berry? I had this jumbo sizes today and they are sweet. "

     Devaine gratefully reach for the berry and accepted it before flashing another smile to the vendor. She stared at it before eating it.

     Lena and the vendor were patiently waiting for her reaction as they hope she likes it. The vendor, thinking this might be another big sale for today and Lena, wanting to know if her lady likes something for today.

     Devaine raised her hand and gave Mrs. Joce a thumbs up before continuing to eat the strawberry. It's tasty and refreshing as it has a hint of cold.

     " My, I knew I'd make a sale if you like it. Today's a lucky day then. "

     Mrs. Joce happily said as she glanced towards her other berries and gave a sigh though she then quickly gathered herself and pulled a paper bag on the side and packs all the Jumbo berries.

     " Is business still slow? You might need to pay a lot for the dispose fee again. "

     Lena worriedly said to Mrs. Joce as she help her pack the strawberries.

     Devaine took a quick look on all kinds of berries displayed and they were a lot. Selling them all today might be impossible.