CHAPTER 6 : MOTHER

Devaine woke up after she heard someone talking. She slowly opened her eyes and saw her Mother relaxing while having tea on the side of her bed. The servants were standing on the sides while some were pouring the tea.

     " I see you have woken up. "

     She looked at her mother puzzled while still on her bed hair. Her mom chuckled.

     " I never knew you would still be sleeping at this time. But because I did not want to bother you from your sleep, I decided to just wait for you. Yet you slept like a log therefore the butler suggested I'd have tea while waiting. "

     " You should have just woken me up mother. "

     Devaine said before jumping out of the bed and then started to tidy her sheets.

     Annalia was watching her child tidying her own bed. It may sound nonsense but she kind of felt entertained.

     " You can ask the servants to do that. " Annalia said as she drank her tea.

     " My KIND father has not given me any personal maids. He was too kind that he wanted me to learn by myself. "

     Her mother chuckled.

     " You have punished your old servants that they do not want to work with you anymore. Or did I hear it wrong? "

     Devaine sat on the chair in front of where her mother was sitting and the butler immediately poured her some tea. She took a sip before making a grossed face.

     " Do you not like it? "

     She did not reply to what Annalia said and just slowly lowered her cup. She knew tea should taste better than this.

     " How can you like this flavor mother? "

     Annalia watched her child looking at her cup with too much disatisfaction.

     " Oh. So what flavor should I like ? " The mother asked her child who has already pushed her cup aside.

     " Oh. It depends on what flavor you want. I like mine to be Oolong tea. "

     Devaine prick her mother's interest when she mentioned a tea she once tasted but did not liked the taste. Now, how can her daughter say that this tea is more inferior ? When the tea she mentioned taste more awful that this?

     " Benson. "

     The butler has been listening to the mother-daughter conversation that he has already understood what the madam wanted to say.

     " I will make the servants prepare the tea leaves. Please wait for a moment. "

     The butler called the maids that were standing near the door who then instantly came forward.

     " Mr. Butler. May I see the leaves first? Oh. And I also need to see if the water was at the right temperature. "

     The butler, puzzled, is now looking at the duchess to ask her about what to do. He had not once have interacted nor received any command from the second miss that he was unsure if the duchess were to permit him.

     " I see that you want to make the tea yourself.  I was not expecting that. Benson, clean this up and guide us to the kitchen. "

     The butler instantly ordered the servants to clean the table while he assisted both mother and daughter out of the room. The servants and the cooks in the kitchen would be very surprised once they arrived there.

     " I suggest mother to not go in the kitchen and just wait for me to finish the tea. "

     The duchess raises an eyebrow as they have arrived at the door of the kitchen.

     " Hmm.. Then I shall see you in the garden. Benson, please assist my child. She shall not be harmed. "

     The butler bowed at the duchess while she excuse herself and her personal servants to the garden.

     They opened the door of the kitchen.

     The servants froze upon seeing the second miss at the door of the kitchen. They all panicked while trying to remember if they forget to make the second miss's meal or was the food not to her liking the she personally came to the kitchen ro punish them.

     " I am only here to make my mother's tea. Don't be too tense.  "

     She informed the servants only what she would do to make them less nervous. She then slowly walked towards one of the stoves and the cooks all turned and stopped what they are doing. The cooking can wait. They all put out all the stove fire and stood in line in the side.

     " Benson, does mother have any health issues that I need to know ? "

     The voice was not loud but very clear. It was clear that it was domineering. They had only heard the second miss talked today for she either was quiet or rampaging or screaming.

     The servants looked at their second miss. She was too scrawny that standing next to the butler made her look like she was thirteen rather than her age, which is sixteen. They do not know what food she likes nor does she requests any snacks and she was too violent for them to get near to.

     Or was she ?

     " The madam has been having a hard time sleeping since the youngest master was born. And also a pain from her stomach when her time of the month comes. "

     Devaine looked at the butler. They have two butlers at the duke's mansion. Benson, the butler whom are assisting the duchess, and Teodoro, the butler whom is assisting her father.

     " Hmm.. Then I should make her a Chamomile Tea. "

     The butler was puzzled as the second miss was supposed to make Oolong Tea.

     " But you said you would make Oolong Tea Second Miss. "

     Devaine flashed a smile that all the servants never saw since the miss was born. They were all in awe when her deep dimples were displayed. 

     " Oh. Don't worry. I would be making two teas. The other tea would be good for mother therefore I wanted to make it too. "

     The butler was shocked at how considerate the second miss was. He has never interacted with Devaine for Teodoro has always been incharge in taking care of her.

     A new breeze has appeared around the miss. A warm and fragile air oozes as she talks with the butler about what she was gonna do. The servants and the cooks were intrigued.

     They were all curious what triggered this change and how long would it last.