CHAPTER 30: FIRST STEP

DEVAINE'S POV

   " Lady, you should coat yourself with this. And this and this and this. "

.
.
.
.
.

     I found myself being covered in fur all over that I now look like a fur ball- with a head. I didn't bother to resist though because it does feel comfortable. And it is what makes the servants happy after coating me with countless coats.

     Winter has come to the west as December is coming. It had been a month since I came here and it passed by so fast with days filled with just pure joy. I never knew family could be like this and I never knew, being taken care of is something that felt so good.

     I never experienced being taken care of. Both when I was Candy and when I was Devaine living in my father's house so somehow, I liked being taken care of and being pampered these days.

     I am dressed like this because I plan to tag along with the servants assigned for hunting. I never experienced nor see someone hunting in both of my lives so hearing such a new word to me is something I can't help but be curious about. Though I had a hard time asking permission from my grandfather to allow me to go as he is too worried to send me outside as the snow is getting thick.

     Thankfully, Uncle Adrian entered grandfather's office to report something so he heard us talking about it. He then volunteered to accompany us in hunting to ease grandfather's worry and for me to be able to go. Uncle is the best!

     I have no other servant accompany me as my uncle said that if something were to ever happen, it would be easier to just pick me up and flee, that having many servants would be harder as it is not easy to walk on snow especially if you are not someone who is used to it.

     We have 20 hunters with us though and including my uncle who grandfather had a very high percentage of trust than my uncle Astero, I'm sure I would be fine.

     Actually, I wanted to at least go outside as my grandfather had not allowed me to go with Uncle Astero at the centre. I was supposed to purchase a store at the plaza on the capital to officially start my new store. It was to be called a 'cafe' .

     But as for my grandfather's refusal to let me travel as he said that it was too cold outside and I am still not in my best condition to travel in the cold. It could actually take a whole 4 days to the capital as you could not take the shortcut because it had probably been buried in the snow.

     I can't refute though as my grandfather said that he would send an official letter to the Empress telling her that he would appoint uncle Astero as a proxy just until this winter is over. And if I were to gain weight, then he said that he would let me go even if the next winter comes. I also told my grandfather to allow me to send some ceramic samples to the Empress to tell her about a new business I had in mind.

     I actually had the idea to also start a ceramic business as all the servants loved making different types of it. It started when I taught them to make pots as I saw that my grandmother's favorite pot was already old and in a very bad condition that I decided to ask her if she want me to make her one. Upon knowing that I also know how to make pots, the servants became interested and ask me how to do it which I also did as I do not intend to gatekeep it.

     I was busy for the last two weeks of the month as my grandmother had assigned teachers for etiquette, business, leadership, social structure, dance, history, language, knitting and sewing, and music. She said that I need to take those classes as it would help me to have a solid educational background. She said that she is confident that no one would dare say anything to me now that I am in my grandfather's care but she said that it would be better to just be educated then I can proudly present myself and not hide on my grandfather's wings forever as she know that they are now aging.

     Business, knitting, sewing, music and dance though were quickly added to my educational background in just one week of taking classes as my teachers had told me that I have the innate talent for those and that that they do not have anything to teach anymore.

     Now, I only have three classes I need to take everyday. Etiquette, history and social structure as I am new to this era and was illiterate in those areas.

     That is when I had the time to visit the pottery room again and was surprised to see stacked of finished ceramic products with different designs and drawings. The servants were surprised when they saw me and all stood up looking apologetic. Some of them explained that after I permitted them to enter the pottery room whenever they want, they had scheduled themselves for who would use the room for each days. So by that, they used their day off making those ceramic products.

     I only told them to lay low for now though as I would think of an idea what to do with the products they gad made. I told them that even though grandfather had given me unlimited budget in pottery needs, I still don't want to just accept everything and not pay back.

     That is when I proposed to my grandfather about the idea which he supported. He told me to let my uncle handle the talking and I will hear good news a week after now.

     So I'll just enjoy my first ever hunting experience. Though I will just be watching them though.