CHAPTER 3: SHAMELESS

I sat back on the bed to make it look like I just woke up.

     A maid entered the room. With her light brown hair tied into a neat bun, she was holding a tray with a bowl and a towel. She was looking down and was very cautious with her steps, like she does not want to make a single sound.

     " Why are you taking so much time ? "

     She flinched then froze as she heard my voice then slowly raises her head with a very frightened look on her face. I mean, I can't blame her, Deviane's face are terrifying at this state.

     " My lady, y-you've woken up. I shall inform the madam and the master with this matter . "

     She said while her gaze was shaking and then ran towards the door fast. I did not even have a chance to tell her that I don't need the tray and she should just take it back with her.

     I stared at the tray then got up to left the room for I now feel my stomach angry as it grumbles.

     The hallway is empty as there is no servants around. Maybe Devaine does not have any personal servants. Now I wonder if did she torture them too.

     The farther I walk, the more I was fascinated by how wide the difference in interior designs of the house from the year I came from and here. And after walking for a couple more minutes, I now realize that I am lost. Dumb me. How will I know where the kitchen is when this is my first time here.

     " M-My lady! "

     I turn to see the maid earlier panting while catching her breath as she reach me. She bowed her head slightly as she talk.

     " The master and the madam summons you to the dining room. "

     I nodded. But deep inside I was thanking all saints I remembered knowing that I can now eat. I was damn hungry and with this scrawny body , it feels like I would collapse if no food would be digested through my stomach five minutes from now.

------------------------------------------------------------

     I found myself sitting on the very far side chair at the dining table. With tea and soup with bread in front of me, I began to eat.

     I now saw Devaine's family. Her father, with long blonde hair and light blue eyes, pale skin and very tall, is looking at her sister, Dianna lovingly while did not even acknowledge her presense when she entered the room.

     Her mother, with pink hair and pinkish red eyes is very stunning that she can't even tell it by words. With wavy hair tied into a messy bun, she looked like the very best version of Devaine but with pink hair.

     Her older twin brothers, with pink hair and blue eyes, looked so innocent and bright while they are patting Dianna's head as she happily tells a story about how she , again, achieve something.

     And our younger brother. With pink hair and red eyes but not as red as mine, is looking down at her food and eat so slow that it was sad to see. He was glancing back and forth to her brothers and father who is lovingly supporting his sister. He was jealous. I can see it clearly. But with his shy demeanor, he would never speak about it. As he was sitting with his strict looking mother who looks like she would kill you with her stare.

     I was so occupied scanning the people in the dining table that I accidentally nudged my silver fork and it fell on the marble floor which made a slightly loud sound as it was a little heavy.

     " Etiquette is very important to make yourself classy ."

     A stern voice coming from MY father echoed the room. The maid rushed to pick up the fork and put in a towel then gave me a new one before excusing herself.

     I picked up my fork and dropped it again on the floor then smiled straight at him. Knowing how unfair he treats his children makes me think that if Dianna were the one who dropped a fork right now, he would just have laughed and shook it off. But because it was me, Devaine, he would punish me unfairly that it is funny just by thinking about it.

     " How shameless. As expected from a family disgra- "

     " DION. "

     Another stern voice echoed the hall. The silent pink haired mother cut Mr. 'Father' off and turned her head to the youngest child on her side.

     " Finish your food. "

     I noticed her gaze went straight to mine. It was a brief moment but I saw her eyes looked down to my food and up again, to me. A signal to finish my 'food'. I smirked. Maybe this family wasn't that bad.

     " I lost my appetite. Eating with her in the same table makes me want to puke. "

     I closed my eyes when I felt my hands shaking. Sadness, pity, anger is all I was feeling right now. I have wished in my past life to have a family, but if my family were to be like this, I would re think that wish.

     " It was unusual of you to join us dining. "

     I looked up and saw my mother looking straight at me. Oh. She was talking to me.

     " Well, being a family disgrace made me shameless. "

     I swept my bangs to the side revealing my bloody red eyes. My mother nodded while all the other people in the hall including the servants froze.

     " I thought that eating here would be more relaxing but unlucky for me, it was more suffocating. "

     I put down my spoon even though I have only half my soup and brush my skirt before standing up.

     " You can rest back at your room. I shall make the maids prepare you a light snack for you have not finished your food. "

     I bowed before excusing myself and leaving the dining room. I did not even notice my mother's smile as she continue cutting her steak.