CHAPTER 17 : THE LADY IN THE PALACE KITCHEN

" Put all the most good quality ingredients in the table. All you could think of, put it all in there! "

     " Be sure to wipe all corners! No dust should be left and make all plates and cups and spoons clean! If they shine, them much better! "

     " Kitchen servants! A Queen's guest would arrive any time soon. You might have heard about her yet I am telling you to shut your mouth and assist her at the best of your abilities. "

     Petra, the Head Maid and the Queen's former personal maid was busy commanding all the servants in the palace even if it is only 6 in the morning.

     ' Petra. I do not care what the rumors says about that child. Serve her with all you best and she might be first woman I'd give a deal to. "

     That is what Petra remember upon talking to the Queen last night. She would never disappoint her.

     " Even if she were to be spoiled rotten or violent as the rumors says, follow whatever she says, this is a direct command from the Queen. You know better what would happen if there were accidents to happen today. "

     The kitchen servants had their sweat dripping down their foreheads while standing on the side as they wait for the other servants to finish what they are doing. The Head Maid had told them to stay put to the side and let the other servants she had brought with her to do everything and that they should be in their best energy when the guest comes.

     They heard about the second lady of the Duke of Corzen. The lady who had the most unpleasant image in the society even without debuting. And for them to serve her, they understood why the Head Maid had them the a rest first.

     The other servants was almost done when a voice rang in the hallway.

     " This must be the kitchen. "

     They saw the Head Maid, who was standing by the door of the kitchen turn to the side and bowed a little though with a shock of her face she tried to hide.

     A lady in a simple yellow dress that touches the floor with a dark red robe popped out of the door. She had her hair just combed neatly as she wear a white headband to prevent any hair from blocking her face. She had no other accessories on other than a small diamond stud earrings. One might say she is a commoner.

     As they take a look to her face though, everyone withdraw the 'commoner' though. Blonde curly hair , pale white skin, simple makeup containing only powder and blush, small pointy nose, and heart shape lips but other than that, bloody red eyes with her long curled eyelashes was the thing they admire the most. It's almost as if all her features was hand picked by god itself.

     'so pretty... '

     That is what all the servants could think of that even the Head Maid could not refute.

     " Let me get off your robe My Lady. "

     One of the servants that was following on her back assisted her to remove her robe. That is when the palace servants and the kitchen servants of the palace saw how skinny the lady was.

     " Thank you Lena. "

     The lady in yellow said before facing all the palace servants again.

     " Sorry for my late introduction, I am Petra, the Head Maid of the palace. I was tasked to assist you until you have fulfilled the reason of your visit. "

     Petra introduced herself and bowed again. The lady smiled before bowing to Petra slightly.

     " I am Devaine Corzen. Second lady of the Corzen Dukedom.  I am honored to have you assist me Petra. "

     " We have cookies and tea leaves prepared. We should warm our stomachs first before we start working. "

     Like a natural, the lady walked to the stoves which made the kitchen servants panic and all ran to her side.

     " Please boil me a lot of water please. "

     " Do you have a flat pan I could use? I would like to heat up the cookies a little as the chocolates might have hardened now. "

     " Lena, May, heat up the cookies with the others. Daphne, select some servants and put cups on the table. Be sure to count the people we have here, each one should have their cup. "

     " The others, please get me a long stool we can all sit into. "

     " Some should prepare plates. "

     " Head Maid, do you have a lot of sugar cubes? "

     " The ones who don't have anything to do, please sit down. You will be the one washing the dishes later. "

     Not a lot of time pass and the kicthen began to feel relax as all the servants seems to find their own task after Devaine had them assigned. Even the Head maid is busy counting sugar cubes after asking all people in the kitchen how many cubes they want in their tea.

     " Now, it is ready. Let us all sit down and drink tea together. "

     The servants all looked at the lady as they heard what she said. It is an etiquette to not eat together nor sit down on the same table with a person who has a status higher than you. And being a servant and a Duke's daughter is such a huge difference that they felt like they just heard a joke. The only person that could take a sit with her would be the Head Maid.

     Time passed and the palace servants was still standing therefore Devaine told something to Lena.

     " It may sound absurb right now but the Lady often eats with us on the kitchen, she prefers to eat with many people as she says it was more fun. It would take a whole day to make the bread the Queen requested if all of you won't take a seat now. "

     With that, the servants take their seats as Lena, Daphne and May pour them tea.