Ch24 Men Do Cry

Uncle James was waiting for me at the entrance.
I followed him and he went to one corner straightaway. One that had a small room made of only glass walls with no windows. Inside the room I could clearly see Nick standing, with.. Just the shorts? He had removed his t shirt.

He continued to stand in attention when we entered.
"At ease." He moved his hands back and stood with his feet apart, and his head hanging down in shame. That position always gives me a feeling of submission. Anyways..
There were two chairs kept in that small glass room. One in the middle, one along a wall.

"You have collected everything you'll need?"
"Yes sir."

Uncle went and sat on the middle chair . He nodded at my I-pod suggesting me to start listening to songs.
I put my earphones on, didn't start playing any song though, and sat on the other chair.
I started tapping my feet on the floor, just to let them think that I'm busy.
I really wanted to hear their conversation, if there was any.

"What do you say? Should we keep the door open?"
Nick looked up a little, in fear "Please Dad.. It will be impossible with the door open.."

There was a moment of silence. Nick got an unspoken permission to close the door. He returned to stand in same position.
"What do you want to say. You wanted this, here we are." Uncle started. There we go.

Nick didn't look up. "Dad.. I am the best example of a bad son. I.. I.." The crack in his voice indicated that he was about to cry.

"Was I, in anyway, partial in raising both of you?"
"No dad, I got more than I deserved."

"Then how can you say, that despite of teaching same morals and values, one is a good son, and one is bad."

"I didn't apologise to you, till now. I didn't have the courage to. I have no right to. But I can't carry this burden on my head anymore. Whatever I said to you that day.. I feel like shooting myself in the head. I.. It's good it was him who decided to make you proud. I can only... Insult you... Like today.. "
" So this regret was occupying your head, after he came back. Is that why you didn't pay attention to the boys? "

He just nodded yes, while still looking down.
"Nick. We both had lost him. You had me, to channel your feelings to. I'll repeat, I didn't mind you opening up that day. Both of us love him, more than our own lives. In fact you are closer to him, than me. It was bound to happen."

"I didn't open up. I shouted, screamed at... You did everything you could for us, sacrificed everything, and what did I do for you in return?
You had no channel, I knew. Yet I added to your misery. God knows how badly I want to go back to that moment and stop myself from saying any of those things. I.. I.. Dad you don't deserve me.. "

Nick was crying. Tears were falling from his nosetip while his head hung low.
Uncle rubbed his eyes and said in a little stern tone "Why are we here Nick? You know I don't want any apology."
Nick cleared the tears off his face with both hands. He raised his face but still looked at uncle's feet. "Dad free me of this burden please. I will never be able to punish myself enough, Sir."

Uncle took a few moments to get back to his usual strict tone. It took Nick the same amount of time, who now looked determined and no more sad.
"Six nights of Fumes. 2300 hours reporting every night. You get late once, I'll add 6 more. Is that enough?"

You could see Nick's face turning pale. He swallowed a big hard truth, and replied "Yes sir."
"Or is that too less for your crimes? Or may be too less to kick away my rolling trophy of nine bloody years? "

Nick nodded a No.
"When I'm giving you permission to speak, you use your freaking tongue!"
"That.. That will be enough Sir."

"That's more than enough my boy, more than any human body can take. If you're alive the 6th morning, you are free."
"Tha..Thank you sir."

"Dumbells in front, 25 situps. Let's see how much can a body be driven by remorse."
Nick picked up one dumbell in each hand, stretched his hands in front, and started counting.

The conversation was over, the punishment had begun.