Ch91 Good Vibes Only

It's been one week since I started learning from Kelly.
I have to admit he's a very practical man like Flynn said. More men I meet here, more respect I develop for the people of forces working for their country.

This reminds me of Nick.
We haven't heard from and of him since that call he made to me.
Uncle, as expected, came to know about it within moments I cut the call. Flynn confirmed it from me. I hope Uncle has no problem with it. Nick is in terrible state as is it.

But nobody knows when will he proceed for that mission. As per Flynn's conversation with Uncle, Nick is still at the HQ, following that stupid schedule that Dan had laid out for him. I wonder how he must be keeping up there.

Uncle took it on his ego and sent Nick. There's no way he was going to call him or request them to send him back. Killer making a deal with him to do the same must have required immense courage.

But why would Killer do it anyways? Does he think Nick can't face Dan's challenge? Or does Killer think that he needs him back here as soon as possible because he can't manage all these trainings here all by himself? None of the two is a reason good enough to explain Killer's desperation to bring Nick back.

"What are you thinking?"
I heard Ren's voice and immediately I felt a bit better. She's truly an angel.

"Nothing."
I correct myself as she continued to look straight into my eyes.
"A lot of things actually."

"Nick?"
She asked me like it was written in bold and italics on my forehead.

"Are all of you guys taught mind reading here? Why haven't I attended any lecture yet?"

"Comes with experience, sweet pea. Now tell me why do you look so confused."

"Killer made a deal with Uncle that if I perform up to his standards in the next evaluation, he would get Nick out of Dan's shit hole."

"Yeah I heard that. I don't know why he did that."
"Kelly said most of the students don't know why their instructors do what they do. But it is for their own good."

It just came out of my mouth before I knew what I was saying.
Ren looked at me with wide eyes.

"That's.. some.. Wisdom..."
She laughed hesitantly, getting short of words.

"I don't know too, Ren. It just feels like whatever is going to happen, isn't going to be very good. I can feel it."

"Oh boy. You're getting those bad vibes, aren't you? Me too. I'm feeling doomed too. Like something is going to click off."
"Absolutely!"

"You girls are scaring me too, now!"
Flynn entered.
"Two women having bad vibes for the future is not something I want to hear ever."

"Flynn you must be knowing something. What is it? Is something gonna happen to Nick?"
I asked him.

"How am I supposed to know that? Or Colonel for that matter. Missions are exclusively HQ's responsibilities. Not even a single soul other than those directly involved, know anything. And even those people are kept under heavy scrutiny that they won't dare say a word to anyone outside. Don't you remember Colonel had to fight and argue to get details so that Kadner could get on board with the mission Wills went on?"

"Yeah. That's true."
Ren agreed with him.

"Flynn.. Can you convince Killer and Uncle to schedule the next sparring in next week?"
"What?" Both of them responded with similarly wide eyes.

"Yes. I want to get this over with and get Nick back. Till then I'll be worried."
"That can be done. I can talk to them."
Flynn said confused.

"But you think you are ready? You know how difficult it is to please him when it comes to fighting." Ren asked me, making me think about it again.

"Yep. Kelly has been teaching me well and Killer had been reinforcing his lessons. I think I'm prepared enough. Flynn, please?"

"Alright. I'll do it by dinner tonight. Thanks."

"Thanks?" It was my turn to be confused now.

"You are facing Colonel just for Nick. Selflessly. Thanks for doing this for our kid." Flynn said with a smile.

"He's the one who's got closest to being my best friend. He fed me when I had no strength to walk to mess. I owe him much more that this."

Ren looked at me with brimming eyes and patted on my head once before leaving.

************************************

"So you think you are ready?"
Killer asked me annoyed.

"Yes sir."
I said and quickly slipped a bite into my mouth. I knew that if I wait for this conversation to get over before I have my meal, then I'll be sleeping empty stomach tonight. So it's better to eat whenever I get a chance. Plus, Killer hadn't commented on that yet, so it's an unsaid permission.

"In just one week?"
His bite was still in his hand with his eyes drilling holes through my skull.

"Yes sir."
I said covering my food-filled mouth to avoid spitting on him and dying an early death.

"Months of training under me, and you never had the courage to walk upto me and tell me to evaluate you. One week under him and you're ready to challenge Colonel? Who do you think you are? Wonder Woman?"
He was getting more annoyed.
But I could smell jealousy here.

'Not wonder woman. But Captain America sounds nice, right?'
I wish I could say that out loud.

"No sir."
"Then why? You know how difficult it was to get him to agree to this deal? Next to impossible. But you think it's a joke. Two weeks is all it will take for you to be ready? He will laugh at you, and at me. Looks like your only motive is to embarrass me in front of him."

"I want to get Nick back here. As soon as possible. That's my only motive, sir."
My tone was respectful but stern. Killer took not more than two seconds to understand that I was serious.

He looked at me for a few silent and killing moments and then silently ate his dinner.
I was half way through when he finished and got up. Jeez such army habits!

"I expect you to realise that this is the only chance we've got for Colonel to call Nick back. If you lose, I'll have your neck ripped from your body. All the best."
He didn't wait for my reply or to confirm whether his warning had me choke on my food. He just spoke and walked away.

I had hard time finishing the meal left. I could already feel his hands gripping my neck. Lord save me from him. Rest I'll manage.

************************************

Looks like something is really going to tick off.
Any guesses?