Ch112 Storms Around Us

JANE'S POV :

It was indeed a disastrous reveal.
Killer's shout was so loud I couldn't have missed it even if I was asleep.

Their unfiltered conversation swept the floor under my feet and yet I stood still.

My dearest friend had left to risk his life without telling anyone. The last time we spoke, he promised 'I'll be back soon.'
Nick you've got to keep your promise because I can't wait for that 'soon' to get over all my life. If those were your last words to me... Shut up Jane!
Stop thinking so negatively.

Nick left for the mission day before yesterday. Killer has not rested his ass since then. He has stayed either inside his office or with Uncle.
The expression on both father and son's faces looked like things were about to blow off.

Flynn had taken my phone into his custody.
"It will be safe for all of us."
He said politely and I agreed.
I had barely any self control. I'd put Nick in more danger because of my anxiety and then never forgive myself. It was better to give my phone away.

My heartbeats were not coming down and my eyes ready to burst at a moment's notice despite zero sleep last night.

Twenty four hours have passed since my brain feels on fire but there's no news of Nick.

I called Martins to share this pain but he was not reachable due to his study.
Damn it.

I had no option but to stick to Ren.
She was a silent mess herself.
We shared the worrisome vibes and there was nothing to help us get better.
She was gloomy for both the days.

I was scared, to say the least, at the thought of going to my room and trying to sleep alone again. I knew I'll be up in worry.
And with such a thumping heart, there's no way I'm going to calm down enough ever to sleep off.

I skipped dinner again. Nick is out there somewhere. How can one eat peacefully if he is hungry?
Ren and Killer however continued to feed themselves well like everyday.

God how do these guys live such a life?
This is the first time I'm worried about someone that's not even my family. And still I'm about to pass out.

These people have seen each other going for missions multiple times.
No wonder they have a stone heart, because soft ones would break in the first go!
Suddenly the respect for them has raised ten folds. Look at Killer and Ren and Uncle - they're all calm. No panic. It's impossible to believe.

"You can't do anything with that sad face and empty stomach."
Flynn said before I left my food untouched.

"That's the least I can do, right?"
"That's zero if you ask me. Give your body strength and rest to face whatever is to come."
He said and that punched some sense into my brain.

Having little dinner, I retired to my room.
Trying to distract my mind off Nick, I thought of everything else.

I don't know when I slept off, but I'm pretty sure the nightmares didn't leave me.

************************************

My telephone rang at 5 in the morning.
It was Uncle James.
I felt something is odd.
It felt like I was dreading for this moment to arrive.

"Hello?"
"Good morning, Jane. Can you please get ready and join us in fifteen minutes?"

"I... Okay.. But join you for what? Are you going for a run?"
I asked as I got up.

"No, we're going to meet Nick."
Nick!
He's back!
Yes!
Oh thank god!

"Wow! He's back! But where is he? HQ?"
I said hurrying up.