Ch113 Call It Quits

"Oh. Hi, Jane. I'm sorry, I -"
"She doesn't know."
Killer cut in and I lost it.

"What is it that everyone knows but me!? What is it Nick?"
I was still crying.

"Nobody told you?"
He asked cautiously making me even angrier.
"Told me what?!"

Nick looked at uncle, asking permission. He nodded and Nick looked back at me.
"Colonel Stuart was involved in this mission. He was leaking info to the hackers. He must have been placed under custody by now."

Time stopped ticking.
I could see every freckle and every injury on his face clearly. But I could not hear anything. I could not make sense of any word.

"You are lying. My dad would never do that. He's not even here. He's on a foreign -"

"He was at the HQ the whole time."
Uncle cut me in without looking at me.

"What? He lied? You lied too! You knew it all along?"
How is it even possible?

"Yes. Earlier, Stuart had been caught leaking info during Wills' mission. That's when Yazan, Aarham's brother decided to kill Wills instead of torturing him more. He came to know that Wills was getting info from them and not the other way round.

Luckily Wills was rescued by Kadner and killed Yazan before leaving that place. While going through that recording, I heard Yazan taking Stuart's name. Wills confirmed that it was true.

Without any delay I informed General Reese who got him to HQ on a long TD. He interrogated him thoroughly and asked him why did he do that? He said Yazan blackmailed him by threatening his daughter's life.

Expecting his successor, Vargas to attack or kidnap you, after killing Yazan, you were immediately sent here and the foreign trip story was made up. That's why we kept you under strict observation. Stuart promised he won't do it again if his daughter is safe and kept under dark.

He was given a month's secretive custodial punishment and was returned back to HQ. Not many people came to know about his deeds, only the trusted ones.

There were incidences of more info leaks and so, this second mission was planned. Only General Reese and I suspected Stuart. I told him that I won't send Wills this time. He got hold of Nick on the condition that he won't be involved outside the hackers' area.

The point of keeping either of the my boys was to keep Stuart in trust - if things go worse, like it did, we hoped he doesn't blow up everything knowing Nick is there and that he had protected you. Stuart would never hurt Wills or Nick, willingly ofcourse.
But since we were not sure of Vargas's reaction if he comes to know that we've caught his messenger, we had to give you this security today.

As soon as the hackers were caught, Vargas was alerted to escape, again by Stuart. We came to know that because we were keeping an eye on him. He was caught red handed.

The job to catch Vargas was given to three Class-I agents that went to the mission along with Nick. He turned out to be smarter and trapped all three before they could even start working on the hackers' info.

Nick and one other class II agent, Eden, came to help the three trapped class-I when Vargas's men started raining bullets while he escaped. Both of them got hurt in the firing. Rescue team was on its way, so even if Nick and Eden would have stayed back as per orders, they wouldn't be lying here in the hospital!"
Uncle said complaining and scolding Nick.

I took in each word I heard and it felt like someone just laid out last 6 months of my life and said 'it was all a lie.'

"My dad would never do that."
I repeated, asking myself. Uncle would not say big words about his own dear friend if all this was a lie.