chapter 17

The young man took Jasmine upstairs as he directed her to Mrs Smith's office. She thanked the young man which he replied with a smile as he left her and walked away. She turned and knocked on the door.

"Come in." A woman's voice said from inside.

Jasmine opened the door and walked in, closing the door quietly behind her.

Mrs Smith was seated by her desk as she looked towards the door and saw Jasmine walking towards her. "There you are." Mrs Smith beamed, getting up from her chair as she gave Jasmine a hug. Mrs Smith was short, had short curly hair and she was fat.

"How are you doing dear?" Mrs Smith asked as she sat down.

"I'm good ma'am and you?" placing her bag on the table, Jasmine sat down.

"I'm doing very great," Mrs Smith said happily. "My sister just called few minutes ago and informed me that she won the case."

Mrs Smith had told Jasmine already about her sister who was fighting to divorce her abusive husband.

"Wow!"Jasmine exclaimed happily "that's great news."

"Yeah I'm so happy for her. Finally she's free and safe from that scum of a husband," Mrs Smith said, sighing deeply.

Nodding in agreement."I'm happy for her too." Jasmine smiled.

"Anyways, sorry for making you come all the way here. I didn't mean to stress you." Mrs Smith told her.

"It's really nothing. Seriously, I don't mind coming over. And I have to say this place is really amazing ." Jasmine said with a big smile on her face.

"Oh yes, it sure is." Mrs Smith chuckled lightly. "let me get you your paycheck, i don't wanna keep you waiting. I'm sure you have other things to do," she said as she reached for her bag on the table, opened it and brought out her check book.

"Oh I forgot to ask, how was your interview the other day?" Mrs Smith asked, writing on the cheque.

"Well, I didn't get the job."Jasmine informed her.

"Really! What happened?"Mrs Smith inquired looking at her.

"They said I wasn't qualified." Jasmine answered with a shrug.
She didn't want to go into full details about what happened that day or she might remember John's touch on her skin. She shuddered and shook the thought off.

"Oh dear, i'm so sorry." Mrs Smith sighed, reaching for Jasmine's hand and held her.

"It's alright. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to find another one soon." Jasmine assured her with a smile.

Nodding her head slowly, Mrs Smith smiled and gave Jasmine a pat on the hand. "I'm sure you will," Mrs Smith said as she tore out the cheque and gave it to Jasmine. "Here you go."

"Thank you." Jasmine smiled as she took the cheque.

"You're welcome dear." Mrs Smith told her as she put back the cheque book in her bag.

"You know, i was thinking of throwing a small celebration party for my sister at my place this sunday and i was wondering if you were free so that you could organize some snacks for us," Mrs Smith said.

Jasmine nodded. "Well, I don't have any request for the weekend yet, so I could do it."

"Great." Mrs Smith beamed as she clasped her hands. "So, I was thinking you could make a creamy vanilla fruit cake and then write something on it like emm.. Happy free woman or something else. Just write something nice on the cake. Then some chocolate cupcakes with peanut butter frosting, cookies, madeleines and oh..yes some pie. My sister loves apple pie.

"Alright." Jasmine brought out a Small note and a pen from her bag and wrote everything down. "Anything else?" Jasmine asked.

Mrs Smith thought for a second,"I think that would be all. It's just a small party," she said with a chuckle.

"Okay," Jasmine said as she put back the note and cheque in her bag.

"Text me how much it would cost and your account details too."Mrs Smith said.

"Alright." Jasmine nodded.

Immediately, there was a light knock at the door and then the door opened as Gloria entered.
"Mrs Smith," Gloria said as she walked up to them. She turned to Jasmine and gave her quick nod with a friendly smile.

Jasmine returned back the gesture as she looked at Gloria.

"Yes Gloria," Mrs Smith said looking at Gloria.

"Sorry to interrupt but I came to inform you that Mr Raymond wants us to represent him at Damon's art exhibition tonight." Gloria informed her.

"Oh c'mon." Mrs Smith groaned. "I'm going over to my sister's place tonight. Can't you go with Alex or someone else?"

"I'm sorry but it's what he said. You can go tell him yourself, he's in his office," Gloria told her.

"Fine." Mrs Smith grumbled, and turned to Jasmine. "Please excuse me for a moment, i'll be back shortly."
She apologized to Jasmine with a smile.

"Of course, no problem," Jasmine told her.

"Thanks."
Mrs Smith got up as she left her office.

"God!" Gloria sighed. "I really need to find a secretary right now." She muttered as she turned to leave.

'Did she just say she needed a secretary?'

Jasmine thought as she heard Gloria's words clearly.

"Excuse me." Jasmine called, getting up from her seat quickly.

Gloria stopped as she turned to Jasmine. "Yes?"

"Sorry, but you said something about a secretary, right?" Jasmine asked.

"Yeah. we kind of need a secretary right now and those that i've managed to interview, Mr Raymond doesn't approve of them," Gloria said with an annoyed frown on her face.

Gloria never thought that being Raymond's assistant wouldn't be so easy. Sometimes, she wished to go back to being his secretary. "Who are you again?"Gloria asked, looking at Jasmine with questioning eyes.

"Oh, I'm Jasmine and I'm here to apply for a job as a secretary." Jasmine smiled, as she brought out her hand for a handshake.
Seeing that they were in need of a secretary, Jasmine decided to use the opportunity and apply for the job.

"I'm Gloria, Mr Ray's assistant." Gloria shook Jasmine's hand. "Mrs Smith never told me she had someone coming for the interview."

Jasmine chuckled. "No, it's not really like that. Actually I came to see her for another purpose, but then you just said you needed a secretary so I thought I should apply for it and don't worry, I have my resume with me."

"Okay."Gloria nodded. "Well, since you are here already, why don't we go to my office."

"Sure." Jasmine smiled, grabbing her bag and walked out of the office with Gloria.