I Would Never Lie To You, Peter (Part One) | Peter Parker [TH]

He had forgotten you again. For the fifth time in one month.

As you sat on your front porch step, dressed in your cutest sundress and cardigan, wearing your brightest pair of Keds, you wondered exactly why you let him treat you like you weren't important enough.

It was nearing eight o'clock. He wasn't coming. The movie had started twenty minutes ago. With a scoff, you used the back of your hand to wipe off the cotton candy pink lipgloss you had been reapplying nervously all night.

You whipped out your phone. For the hundredth time tonight, you opened up your text messages. Your conversation with Peter had ended thirty minutes ago.

Quickly, you typed into the box.

we need to talk

You picked up your tiny purse and stood up from the porch step. You threw open your front door. From the living room, your parents looked over the back of the couch.

"Movie's over already?" your dad asked.

You stood there for a minute, hot tears threatening to spill right over your eyelashes. You bit down hard on your bottom lip and nodded.

Your mom furrowed her thin eyebrows. "Honey, what's wrong? Did you have a fight with Peter?"

"No," you said in a hushed voice. "But I-I think it's over... between us."

With wide eyes, your mom and dad turned to face you. Your mother moved to her knees, stretching out a hand.

"Oh, honey! Did he break up with you?"

You shook your head, not trusting your voice.

"Did you break up with him?"

You looked down. The phone in your hand buzzed. You saw your screen light up, the picture of you and Peter making your eyes water. It was a selfie you had taken, with his arm thrown around your shoulders, his cheek pressed to yours, both of you laughing because he had bumped your head.

You slowly swiped your thumb across the screen, pulling up the icon of the lime green phone. You lifted the phone to your ear and turned to head up the stairs.

"Hello?" you said, voice shaky.

Words spewed out of his mouth. "Babe, I am so sorry - I totally lost track of time and I was trying to hurry over but something came up and-"

"It's fine," you said, voice trembling.

"It's fine? Really? Thank God," he said. He breathed a sigh of relief.

"But I, uh, I..." you absentmindedly scratched the top of your. Sniffing, you blinked away tears. "I think we just need to break up."

"Wait, what?"

"It's for the best, Peter-"

"For the best?" he asked in disbelief. "How is this for the best-?"

You were crying now. You held your breath, hoping to keep your voice down. No doubt your parents were on the other side of the door, listening intently to their daughter's first break up.

"I can't keep doing this, Peter," you said. "You're just treating me like... like I'm just someone you can ditch whenever you want."

"I don't treat you like that! I don't! I don't treat you like that!" His voice was rising in panic.

"Peter, you haven't shown up to the last five dates. Last week, you made me walk to school because you told Aunt May that she didn't have to drive you. That left me stranded at my house, Peter! I was late to first period because of you, and it ruined my perfect attendance."

He fell silent. In his room, he pinched the bridge of his nose, his eyes squeezed shut.

You took a breath through your tears. "You're selfish, Peter."

He let go of his face and stared up at the ceiling. "___, please-"

"Goodbye," you said, and you hung up.

The tears were coming harder than before now. You fell at the foot of your bed, shoulders shaking. You didn't want to leave your room, ever.

But it was just a stupid breakup. Your first of many, more than likely. You were just a teenager. Tons of teenagers have gone through breakups.

But no matter how much you tried to convince yourself, it didn't seem like life would go on just the same. Things were different now, and you could only imagine how horrible it would be at school tomorrow.

Aunt May couldn't pick you up for school anymore, so you were forced to get a ride with your father on his way to work. He didn't know exactly what to say to his daughter that was going through day one of her first breakup.

You and Peter had been dating since the end of freshman year. He was your first homecoming date, first kiss, and the first boy you ever loved. The memories you once loved to keep in the from of your mind now hurt worse than any pain you had ever felt.

When the car pulled up to the front of the school, your dad cleared his throat. "Uh, have a good day at school, honey. Maybe you can hang out with that Miranda girl today. She's a nice kid."

"Michelle, Dad. It's Michelle," you said, unbuckling your seatbelt. "And yeah, maybe. I'll see you later." You climbed out of the car.

"Love you," he yelled out.

You forced a smile on your face. "Love you, too," you replied.

As the car pulled away, you turned to face the school. All at once, you were aware of how horrible you felt and probably looked. Your graphic t-shirt and jeans were nothing new, but your hair was unbrushed and pulled back in a lazy ponytail.

You were walking to your locker when you saw him. He was leaning against the wall by your first period class. His friends were around him, talking as if he was listening.

You swallowed hard when his eyes met yours. Pressing your lips together, you looked away and focused on opening the lock.

As you pulled the creaky door open, Peter walked over to you. He looked solemn as he leaned into the lockers and ducked his head.

"Hey," he said softly.

You didn't look at him. "Hi."

He took a deep breath. "I know I'm probably the last guy you wanna talk to right now," he said.

You didn't reply. Taking out your math book and a couple of notebooks, you gave him a second long glance. "You really hurt me, Peter."

"I know," he said, his voice failing a little bit. "And I'm sorry, ___. I really am sorry."

"Why did you do it?" you whispered, shaking your head. "Why would you forget about me like that?"

"I didn't mean to hurt you," he said. "Something just... came up."

"What was it?" you asked. When he paused, you raised your eyebrows. "I have a right to know."

He nodded fast. "You do! You totally, totally do! But, uh, I can't - I just can't tell you- and I want to, really, but I... I can't."

You scoffed. With tears in your eyes, you shut the locker door and looked down at your feet.

"You know, Peter, I would never keep a secret from you."

With that, you turned and walked away. For the first time ever, you were dreading the next time you would see Peter Parker.