You Are Not Alone | Peter Parker [TH]

The exterior of the apartment shook as you slammed the door. Inside, your parents yelled about waking up the neighbors and getting evicted. You didn't care much, so you stomped off towards the lobby.

The tears were already falling as you walked out of the apartment building, ran across the parking lot, and kept going in the direction towards the park.

You felt like you were crumbling in on yourself. Any second now you would fall apart, tear in half, shatter. You couldn't take anymore yelling.

Without really realizing where you were, you sat down on a bench. You sniffed and wiped a closed fist across your face, wiping at your eyes and nose.

Never had you felt so heartbroken; lost; hopeless. You had been fighting with your parents for a long time now, but tonight's fight had really hurt.

You weren't sure if you wanted to go home tonight. You contemplated calling a family member or a friend and asking if you could stay with them for the night.

You were so done.

You covered your mouth and lowered your head. Your shoulders shook as you released quiet sobs into your palm. You squeezed your eyes shut tight.

"Hey... are you okay?"

You jumped, not realizing you had company. Turning your head to the left, you were surprised to see Spider-Man. You stood up from your seat, clumsily dropping your phone and coat.

He flicked his wrists and webbed the objects, forcing them into the air and into his arms. You flinched at the movement. "I-I'm sorry! I didn't mean to scare you - uh, here-" He held out your things.

"T-Thank you," you mumbled, taking them.

"Are you... you here alone?" He observed your face from behind his mask. "And... crying?"

You slowly sank down on the bench again, suppressing more tears.

"I-I didn't mean-"

"No, it's okay," you said. You sniffed again. "I-I just had a fight with my parents-"

"Oh."

"And I don't know what to do... or where to stay... because I'm too tired to fight anymore," you explained, fresh tears springing out of your sore eyes.

"Hey, it'll be okay," he said quickly. You felt him take a seat next to you. "Is there someone you can call?"

"Yeah," you mumbled. "But I wish I didn't have to."

"I know," he said softly. He sighed as he watched you shiver, wrapping your arms around yourself. "Uh - here..." He peeled the coat from your hands and draped it over your shoulders.

"Thanks," you mumbled, blushing at the feeling of Spider-Man's gloved fingers against your shoulders. You looked up at him shyly.

Although you couldn't see his face, he could see yours. He fell silent as he took in your sad eyes, red and irritated and filled with tears. Your cheeks were flushed with color and your mascara was starting to drip down from your eyes.

The cold wind blew, moving your hair around your face. He swallowed hard. How did you look so beautiful when you were sad-

"Do you like her?" Karen asked in his ear, jolting him back with a jump. "I think you like her, Peter-"

Confused by his sudden movement, you looked from one eye to the other. "Am I keeping you here?" you asked softly.

"Huh?" he asked, pulling back a little. "Oh! No, no. I'm not busy- it's kind of a slow night."

You looked away. "Oh."

"So I can stay with you if you want," he said. "I'll be here if you want to call someone. It would really suck if we both froze to death here all night."

You blushed again. "You're right. I'm sorry, Spider-Man, I'm letting you sit here and freeze-"

"Don't apologize," he pleaded softly. "I... I understand if you sometimes just need time to cry. And if you want to be alone, that's cool too. I kind of intruded on you. I just thought that maybe someone hurt you and you needed help..."

"I do need help," you admitted. "So I'm grateful that you came."

He nodded. "I'm right here."

You smiled softly for the first time. As your pink lips pulled upward, his heart skipped a beat. He silently cursed himself for liking a random girl that was crying on the street - but hey, he was a teenager. It wasn't that surprising, right?

You picked up your phone and turned on the screen. You typed in a number and held the phone to your ear. After a couple seconds of waiting, you whispered a soft hello.

While you told your best friend what happened, shed a few tears, stumbled over your words when Spider-Man touched a hand to your back, you had a home to stay in. You almost smiled as you said goodbye and hung up.

Spider-Man moved his hand. "Is everything good now?"

Before you could nod, you sniffed, feeling tears in your eyes. This time, you were overwhelmed with thankfulness.

Spider-Man grabbed your hand. "Oh no. What happened?" he asked. "What did they say? I-I'm sure we can figure someplace for you to stay-"

"No, Spider-Man," you said, smiling. "I'm just... grateful." You swallowed hard and gazed up at him through misty eyes. "I'm grateful for you."

"Oh," he said. "I-I was just doing my job, miss-"

"No," you said. "You went out of your way to help me and I... I should repay you." You reached for your pockets in search of cash - anything.

He hopped onto his feet and shook his head. "No, no! I don't do this for money."

"But you-"

"I was just helping out someone who needed it," he said quickly. "And, uh, if... if you ever need help again, I'll be there for you. I won't be far."

Your face warmed. "Thank you."

"It's not a problem," he said. It was silent for a moment. "I should get going. I'll watch you from up there until your friend comes."

You nodded and he turned towards the building a few feet away. Before he could shoot the web upward, you snatched his wrist and brought his attention back to you.

Awkwardly, you leaned against him and wrapped your arms around his shoulders. He hesitated before touching your back. You blushed and stepped back.

"Thanks again, Spider-Man."

"N-no problem." He cleared his throat and shuffled his feet. "And, uh, remember - you are not alone." Then he was gone.

You could see his silhouette on the building as your friend's car pulled up. You waved to him as you slid into the backseat.

On top of the building, Spider-Man waved.

"So do you like her, Peter?"

He sighed. "Karen, your company is great, but please stop."